Watkins Glen State Park - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2021

Watkins Glen State Park

We’d done our homework and read up on Watkins Glen State Park, but we were still stunned by what an exceptionally beautiful place it is.  I’d say it’s probably the top highlight of the whole tour so far.  It is such an inspirational place - you can’t really believe that these beautiful falls and rapids keep coming one after another as you climb through this narrow canyon - 19 falls in roughly a mile, with a cumulative drop of about 400 feet.  Everything about it - the falls, the walls, the stairs, the bridges, the tunnels - blend together to make for an exceptional experience.

We visited the park first thing in the morning, hitting the trail by perhaps eight or eight thirty.  It’s the perfect time to be there because there are still so few people about.  It’s quieter, folks aren’t jostling past you on the trail, and you can fully appreciate the splendor of this place.  The park gets over a million visitors a year, and by midday the trails are normally crowded during the summer months and on the weekends.

Looking back from the entrance to the park at the dome of the Schuyler County Courthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
First snake of the summer, finally. Little guy. Nothing to be afraid of here.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat macro shot of this eastern garter snake!

https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/thasir.htm
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltNearly got the whole animal, but he slithered off the path too quickly. Still, if I only got a piece of him this was pretty good.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Looking back from within the gorge, we can se how near the town the park is. The first cross street is the Main Street through town, and the courthouse is just around the corner behind the trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is A LOT of stair work hiking the gorge. The Gorge Trail is only a mile and a half long but climbs 832 stairs. More, if like here you’re going down and then climbing back up for some reason.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I lost track of how many of these stone bridges cross the gorge. Five, maybe. Each one seems spectacular, seen from above or below or looking down into the gorge from them.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The literature says that there are 19 waterfalls in the gorge, but really it feels like one continuous fall.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The phenomenal scenery is enhanced by the stonework of the stairs and arched bridges, built in a CCC project begun in 1935 after the previous infrastructure was washed away in a massive flood.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Watkins Glen. The lines of the gorge and the walls lining the walkway give an elegant Japanese feeling to the scene.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Cavern Cascade, one of the largest falls in the gorge, has a 52 foot straight vertical drop. It’s one of three falls in the gorge you can walk behind.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Watkins Glen.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Watkins Glen. We’re here at the best time - first thing in the morning on a weekday, before the massive crowds arrive.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Watkins Glen. I always feel humbled and somewhat saddened by these CCC projects that have left such a wonderful legacy. Why can’t we do something like this again?
Heart 2 Comment 0
The walls on both sides of the gorge host a variety of plant life, eking out an existence rooted to the crumbling shale.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Cathedral: an open, amphitheater-like widening of the canyon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Central Cascade, another of the largest falls in the canyon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In several places the stairs pass through tunnels that were drilled and blasted through the rock a century ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down a the Central Cascade from Folly Bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down at the Central Cascade from Folly Bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A relatively tranquil spot in Watkins Glen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching ethereal Rainbow Falls, possibly the most spectacular scenic highlight of the gorge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rainbow Falls, formed by a lateral stream cascading over the side wall of the canyon.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking back at Rainbow Falls.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The trail crosses behind Rainbow Falls. You want to pass through quickly to avoid getting drenched.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Frowning Cliff, a narrow, almost gloomy neck in the canyon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Returning back to town along the north rim trail. Compared to the gorge trail it’s a relaxed walk in the woods, with an occasional view down into the canyon below.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The North Rim Trail is a quieter experience, but with its own surprises.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking down from the suspension bridge on the way out of the park. It’s only about 11 but already the crowds are picking up.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Jen RahnGreat to return from a road trip alongside beautiful rivers to this post.

What a spectacular place!

I probably would end up with a mouth full of bugs from my jaw dropping at every turn.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierI’m convinced! This is definitely way cooler than a racetrack. Beautiful pictures!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Patrick O'HaraWow. What a cool spot! Great shots, too!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraIt was cool, alright. All the spray from the falls really helped.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago