To Sackets Harbor - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2021

To Sackets Harbor

For a day with such idyllic riding conditions, I thought today’s ride would be more compelling than it was - northbound, roughly tracing the eastern shore of Lake Ontario, excellent weather.  After the last few days though it was surprisingly uninteresting.  On a highway most of the way with little reason to stop, so we didn’t.  Probably the fewest photos I’ve stopped for in a long time, but fortunately Rachael had her GoPro woikin’.

Leaving Oswego.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading north, following the eastern Rim of Lake Ontario, which we’ll seldom see until reaching our destination. We’re on a minor highway and there’s the occasional big truck, but the shoulder’s fine.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Except when the shoulder drops down to about a foot, when it’s less comfortable when one of those trucks goes by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Real haystacks! Not such a common sight over here.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Video sound track: the Flavor, by Oscar Lopez

Sackets Harbor is a small port town on Lake Ontario.  Its big claim to historical fame comes from the War of 1812, when the British invaded it twice and were rebuffed both times.  Why here?  Because the town was the site of a U.S. Naval Shipyard, established to build ships to enforce a customs embargo against Canada.  The shipyard was protected by a small fort on the low bluff south of the harbor; but another one, Fort Volunteer, was hastily added after the first invasion.

There are panels all about town detailing the town’s history, but there’s not really much to see here now.  The forts are gone, but some the fine houses of the era are still here and it makes a nice place to stroll after the evening meal.

Sackets Harbor has some fine old houses, dating back to the early 1800’s when the town was a ship construction center, a significant enough one that the British mounted two attacks on it during the War of 1812. This is the Denison House, built around 1817.
Heart 2 Comment 0
After being in the same family since it’s cornerstone was placed in 1807, the Elisha Camp Manor is finally for sale! Our dilemma - this, or that fine 2 BR, 2 bath condo with the granite countertop back in Ithaca?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rich FrasierNo question. This one rules. If you’re lucky it might even have some resident ghosts! :)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
A trike for Kat. Some hostas for Andrea.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hollyhocks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sackets Harbor was named after Oliver Sackett, its founder. Odd spelling discrepancy there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sackets Harbor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another fine home, one of many in town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An action shot. We just passed a live band performing at a bar, and Rachael has her ear cocked and is bouncing to Red Rubber Ball. It’s been so long since we’ve heard live music!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tomorrow’s breakfast? An intriguing question. Check back tomorrow to find out!
Heart 1 Comment 0
And one more. But actually we took this photo for the magnificent willow on the left.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I wonder what this monster is, on the grounds of what was once Fort Volunteer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking toward town across the earthworks of Fort Volunteer. I’ll bet they were volunteers, alright.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The water tower, from 1892. Prior to the completion of the water system water had to be hand carried from the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Day’s end, Sackets Harbor. We have a view of this spot from our room, but I walked down to sit on the rocks at the end of the jetty and watch the sundown. Rachael was happy to watch from the room and dance to her music.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 54 miles, 2,100’; for the tour: 1,997 miles, 58,900’

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 1,997 miles (3,214 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0