To Hastings - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2021

To Hastings

Our Ride to Rome really begins today, after we drop our rental car off at the MSP airport and bike away for point east.  For those who might have wondered, MSP is a very easy airport to bike away from - as long as you depart from Terminal 2.  After about a half mile of access roads with a decent shoulder, the route leaves the roads and joins the bike paths through Fort Snelling State Park.  It’s pretty hard to beat as a way to start a tour from a major airport.

Phew! It all fits!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Let the real tour begin!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fort Snelling National Cemetery, still adorned from Memorial Day.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Andrea BrownMy kids' grandparents are buried here.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In Fort Snelling State Park. I didn’t time this quite right - a few seconds later an incoming jet passed over just a few hundred feet above.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Minnehaha Trail, Fort Snelling State Park.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Bruce LellmanThe lush green vegetation, boxelder trees, cottonwood fuzz, dirt road, mosquitoes, humidity - it's my childhood. It makes sense since I grew up just north of this spot.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanBoxelder! Thanks - I was intending to look this up.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanBe sure you look up deer tick. They are nearly invisible and they are the ones that carry the Lyme bacteria not the normal ticks.

Boxelders are actually the poor cousins in the maple family. They grow like weeds and like that rich moist black soil. When I lived in MN I tapped them every spring. You have to boil the sap more but it makes lovely syrup, nicer than maple syrup in my opinion.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In Fort Snelling State Park.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Historic Fort Snelling.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Beyond Fort Snelling, we generally follow the Big River for the next fifteen miles as it takes its wide bend east to Saint Paul before turning south.  Nearing Saint Paul we’re passed by another couple who slow down and ask where we’re bound: Hastings today, New York in August, ultimately to Rome.  They act impressed, but point out that we’re going the wrong direction if we’re heading to Hastings.  They’re right, if we were looking for the direct route; but we’re intentionally going the long way to follow the river.

They move ahead, but then the woman drops back to chat some more.  She’s a bike tourist also, and puts a bug in our ear by suggesting that we should bike the ring road in Iceland, as she did.  That would be so amazing, and merits research.

The Smith Avenue Bridge, Saint Paul
Heart 2 Comment 0

The ride south of Saint Paul is peaceful and pleasant, often on shaded bike paths with the air filled with clouds of cottonwood dander.  The shade is welcome because the day is heating up fast.  By the time we make Hastings it will be pushing 90.

Crossing the rail yards, Kaposia Landing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Along the Mississippi, south of Kaposia Landing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the roundabout ramp for the pedestrian railway overpass, Newport.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Halfway into the ride a strange figure stands in the shade a hundred yards down the road, blocking the bike lane and pointing a camera our way.   It’s Greg Garceau, noted CycleBlaze figure and Cycle365 Poet Laureate.  We aren’t surprised - we knew he was heading up our way from his home in Hastings, following the route I’d emailed him weeks ago.  It’s an overdue reunion: we first met up four years ago when he rode with us from Saint Paul to Hastings on our loop ride to Duluth and back.

For the last 20 miles of the ride he kept us company, entertained and inspired us, and helped take our minds off the oppressive heat.

A long planned reunion with an old friend, in Saint Paul Park.
Heart 7 Comment 3
Kelly IniguezGreg - If you are reading this, we plan to eat pasties this summer! We start our tour July 1 - taking the fast boat to Muskegon and heading around the lake counter clockwise.

Kelly
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Kelly IniguezI'm looking forward to your journal, Kelly. I hope you can eat your way into pasty heaven as I have many time before.

Just today, Scott and I exchanged stories about our meetings with you in Tucson and northeastern Washington respectively.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnTo Gregory GarceauHey! Just getting caught up with Team Anderson after a Grumby road trip .. you look like you're ready for the gong ceremony.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
First silo shot of the tour. I imagine it won’t be the last.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A Genoese watchtower? How did we slip into Corsica?
Heart 3 Comment 0
An unidentified vagabond, on his way from LA to Saint Paul by way of Death Valley and southern Utah. He’s been on the road for three years. Anyone recognize this guy?
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the corner of Pt. Douglas and Kimberly.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Somewhere north of Hastings.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Crossing the Mississippi into Hastings, on the new bridge. Nice, but I’d love to have seen the old Spiral Bridge that preceded it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the Hastings Bridge.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Greg, Rocky, and the Hastings waterfront.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The beautiful Hastings City Hall, once the Dakota County seat.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ardent Mills, and the Vermillion River. Ardent Mills was the first operating mill in Minnesota, and also the facility where patent and Graham flour were invented. Impressive Vermillion Falls drops 35 feet at the far end of the mill.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Video sound track: I Gotta Feelin’, by the Dallas String Quartet

We arrive at our motel in Hastings about 3, and then shower and cooled down for the next hour and a half until Greg returns with his van and the Feeshko for a late afternoon on the town: starting a stop at the Spiral Brewery so that Greg could pay off a debt - one or the other of us has owed the other a pint for so long that we’ve forgotten the reason or who is actually the debtor.  After that we move a few doors down for a delicious outdoor meal at the Lock And Dam.  With some encouragement from Greg, I give walleye another try and am surprised at how much I enjoy it.  I think we must have had an unusually poor presentation four years ago, and need to think again.

The visit is terrific.  It’s a delight to meet Greg again, and especially enjoyable to have a longer visit with the Feeshko than we had last time.   I’ve no doubt that if we lived closer by we’d be seeing a lot of each other.

For another, more entertaining take on the afternoon, here is Greg’s version.  What a great way to start off the tour!

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 41 miles, 1,400’; for the tour: 120 miles, 3,400’

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 120 miles (193 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Kathleen JonesHow great to see the four of you. You all clean up nice and thank goodness the Feeshko was there to bring some class.

And the soundtrack for the video was perfect.

👏🏽
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Kathleen JonesI thank you for your compliment about The Feeshko's class. So true. But you forgot to mention MY incredible class and distinction.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauYes, your class certainly is incredible and distinctive. You’re in a class of your own, Greg.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesTo Gregory GarceauDid I? Hmm.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinHi,
Neat to see you all together in my old stomping grounds. Not much difference between now and twenty years ago, with a few exceptions like the Newport and Hastings bridges. But riding through stop signs on camera? Hmmm.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinTo Gregory GarceauClass? Lower to middle -middle, I’d say. ;^)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Keith KleinHi Keith
I'm totally satisfied with the "lower to middle class" designation. That's one step above the impression I think I leave with most people.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnFinally back in Silverton and starting to catch up .. so great you were able to meet up with a Famous Cycle Journal poet!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnWelcome back! It looks like you had a spectacular road trip. Did you manage to meet up with the Hugens? It looks like they were biking up Padilla Bay just a day or two behind you.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnThe timing didn't end up working out to meet up with them .. too bad! I think it ended up that they were 3 days behind us.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago