To Green Bay - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2021

To Green Bay

We went to bed last night swearing we would get an earlier start today.  Rachael was up at 5 drinking her cold coffee she’d saved from the night before, and I was up minutes after.  We ate in the room again, on a tasty meal of instant oatmeal and figs.  Somehow though we still failed to get out early, and weren’t on the road until after 7:30 - a bit worse than we did yesterday, actually.  And, like each of the past four days, it was sunny, in the low seventies already, and would reach 90 by midday.

I awoke in the middle of the night feeling hot and flushed, and anxious about my health.  I think it’s only because we turned the A/C off before going to bed though, and the room was overheated until I got up and turned it on again.  By morning I felt fine, and ready to ride.

It’s an easy ride today - 47 miles sounds pretty light compared to yesterday’s 63, and only minimal climbing is involved.  The first 30 miles were quite pleasant, and it didn’t get uncomfortably hot until about 11 - the time we would have arrived in Green Bay if we’d left at 6.  We have only ourselves to blame.

We arrived in Green Bay at noon, too early to check into our hotel, so we headed straight to the Creamery, a waterfront diner Rachael had scoped out thinking they’d have ice cream and it would just hit the spot.  It’s a nice place, with outdoor seating that I’m sure would be delightful if it were ten or fifteen degrees cooler.  Instead, we had lunch indoors - three pitchers of ice water, a huge serving of corned beef hash and eggs (S), and a grilled panini with bacon, chicken, spinach, and gruyere cheese, with a side salad (R).  Good, and very filling; so it wasn’t a huge disappointment for Rachael that they didn’t actually have ice cream.

After that we went back to the room for several hours and then went out again for dinner at Hagemeister Park, another waterside joint that looks like it often draws a big crowd.  Today many folks are sitting outside chugging their beers and frying, but we’re much more comfortable and the view is nearly as good on the other side of the glass.

After dinner we consider a walk along the waterfront, but it still feels too hot for comfort.  Tomorrow we’ll reach Lake Michigan and should finally escape the heat - the high there today was 70, a full 20 degrees cooler.  We can hardly wait. 

Typical scenery for the day - 40 miles of green with a liberal smattering of dairy barns.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Maybe the heat has kept them down, but we’ve had very little problem with dogs so far - except for this brute who ran out to challenge us. We had a stare down for a few minutes until Rocky grew impatient and yelled Help at the top of her lungs. That startled both me and the dog, and he immediately backed off. A trick to remember.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More miles of green. The photo doesn’t indicate that by now it’s getting unpleasantly hot.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jen RahnCan't see it but definitely can imagine the heat.

Nice to see there are shade trees, should an overheated cyclist need to escape from the sun.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Even the silos are green.
Heart 3 Comment 0
As is this stately white oak tree that caught my attention.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltOld Scout method of telling red from white oak.. Indians (red man) shot arrows with sharp points like red oak leaves. White man shot bullets with rounded tips like white oak leaves. I think I remember hearing the same thing on "The Woodwright's Shop" on PBS some 30-ish years ago.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltFunny. I’ve never heard that. I’ve known of that difference between the white and the red/black oaks though for so long that I’ve forgotten now where I learned it - but probably from my father, who knew all of the major trees back in West Virginia where he grew up. I credit him for giving me an interest in trees.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Video sound track: Your Smile, by Dino & Franco Piano Septet

I was startled at lunch to look out the window and see this behemoth easing it’s way upriver. The Fox isn’t all that large a river here - it’s amazing that it’s navigable for such a huge ship.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It’s the Alpena, a cement hauler. I’m glad it didn’t pass through that drawbridge when we arrived in town - we’d have spent a long time baking in the heat waiting for the ship to pass.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It’s a slow news day, and a good time to show what I’m drinking’: the Two Hearted Ale, an IPA by Bell’s Brewery in the upper Michigan peninsula.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 47 miles, 1,00’; for the tour: 455 miles, 13,100’

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 454 miles (731 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0