To Gills Rock - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2021

To Gills Rock

Another lovely, peaceful day.  Our ride began by biking east from Sturgeon Bay to the eastern side of the peninsula and then generally following the coastline north to Bailey’s Harbor at the approximate midpoint of the ride.  We broke up the ride there with a stop for gelato and then continued north along Lake Michigan for another eight miles before finally angling back west again and then to tiny Gill Harbor at the northern tip of the peninsula.

We’re staying in The LightHouse Inn for two nights, our first layover day since arriving in Minneapolis almost two weeks ago.  We’re staying over an extra day so that tomorrow we can take the short ferry to Washington Island for a spin around and then return.  The Lighthouse Inn is a dramatic place when you first see it - a Victorian mansion dating back to the early 1900’s; a newer wing with a Scandinavian style; and what looks like a functional lighthouse that also contains a rental unit.  

Gills Rock is tiny, but a delightful place to stay.  There’s an excellent restaurant two blocks away, the Shoreline, where we ate tonight.  We got there about an hour after they opened and the place was packed with a half hour waiting list.  Fortunately there were still a few seats at the bar so we ate there and enjoyed an outstanding meal.  Unfortunately they’re only open Thursday to Sunday, so tomorrow we’ll bike five miles south to Ellison Bay for a meal.

It’s been clear most of the day, but over dinner a dark, menacing formation moved in, and by seven we watched a dramatic downpour from the comfort of our room and porch.  It’s delightful - it feels like we’re camping, but with a roof over our heads.

Some roadside art on County Road T.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Lily Bay sawmill went out of business in 1893. It’s the only remnant of the village of Lily Bay, which for a time was the Lake Michigan port for Sturgeon River until the ship canal was completed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
At tiny Lily Bay Park, at only one acre the smallest of Door County’s parks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Lily Bay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We followed the shoreline north for the next 13 miles. Whitefish Bay, five miles to the north, is the first public beach access past Lily Bay. In between is an unbroken line of private lakeside homes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In order to stay near the lake as long as possible we biked the unpaved path through Whitefish Dunes for a short distance. Too sandy in spots to bike comfortably, but otherwise fine.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Stella Maris Catholic Church, Jacksonport.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing Kangaroo Lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kangaroo Lake, a State Natural Area.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanIt's quite a sensation when a photo stirs something deep inside that screams, 'My Childhood'. This may be a mundane photo to some people but to me it is very special.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
On Kangaroo Lake.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Gelato stop, Bailey’s Harbor.
Heart 3 Comment 0
North of Bailey’s Harbor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
White Pelicans, North Bay. North Bay is the spawning area for the majority of Lake Michigan’s whitefish.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I don’t recall seeing white Pelicans with grey feathering like this. Is this immature coloration?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltI don't know much about pelicans, but this trusted website has some pictures with similar feathering on the head.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_White_Pelican/media-browser/454675
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Fishing in North Bay. The water must be very shallow for a long ways out. He’s easily a hundred feet offshore.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanWhere there are reeds like these the water is five feet deep at the most and usually a lot less.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Video sound track: With You in Mind, by Acoustic Alchemy 

Our home for the next two nights: Harbor Light inn, in Gills Rock.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Spacious accommodations in Harbor Light Inn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Harbor Light Inn.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Outside, looking through our room’s stained glass window.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My Whitefish Roma meal at the Shoreline Restaurant was the best of the tour so far.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are a lot of temptations here. Our one disappointment at Gills Rock is that the Shoreline is closed Mondays.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the harbor, Gills Rock. What are these metal gaff-shaped implements?
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanI would guess they anchor the ropes, nets, buoys into the bottom of the lake.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanOh. Anchors.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The martins have landed.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Gills Rock is famous for its spectacular sunsets. Not tonight though - a thunderstorm is due to roll in shortly.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 51 miles, 1,400’; for the tour: 579 miles, 16,900’

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 579 miles (932 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0