To Ann Arbor - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2021

To Ann Arbor

I forgot that I took a short video of the rain as it started battering our window last night just before we were preparing to step out to dinner:

By the time we finished our meal the storm had moved on, and we enjoyed a dry walk back to our room.  Later we were startled to see the sun briefly break through on the horizon as it dropped below the clouds.

Heart 3 Comment 0

We move on today, all the way to Ann Arbor thanks to Amtrak.  The train doesn’t leave until 4:30, so we have all day to fill here in Kzoo.  We have to check out of our room at 11, so we aren’t quite sure how we’ll spend the day while we wait for the train.

When we wake up though, we’re pleased to see that rain has pushed out until about noon.  We eat a rushed meal in our room, pack up, and leave for a ride on the Kalamazoo Valley Rail Trail (KVRT), the trail we started walking along yesterday morning.   The trail is really more of a small network, radiating off in three directions from town.  We’ve mapped out a route that includes all three, turning back at each leg when the trail ends - about 45 miles in all.  We just start biking, with the plan that we’ll never be too far from town and can turn back when we lose the weather.

We make it through the whole northern leg and back, which is very pretty the whole way.   Much of it is right beside the Kalamazoo River, which seems right at flood stage.  In spots the trail is muddy and looks like the water has lapped over recently.   Returning to town, we next head east; but by the time we reach Comstock it starts drizzling and we take it as a sign to turn back.  Thankfully it never amounts to anything until we return to town.  Shorter than we would have liked, but we’re happy to have gotten out at all.

On the KVRT.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the KVRT.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing a small tall grass prairie preserve.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Kalamazoo River is right at flood stage, not far below the level of the path in many spots.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are a few downed or sagging trees along the way. This one grabs Rocky’s helmet and won’t let go.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: With You in Mind, by Acoustic Alchemy

When we get back to town we decide to stop in for brunch at 600 Restaurant and Bar, the place we had dinner two nights back.  We’re waiting for the light to change to cross the street to it when suddenly real rain breaks out.  We dash for the entrance to the restaurant and arrive just in time to dodge a brief downpour.  Flawless timing!

It’s a good thing we arrived somewhat early (it’s only about 11:30), because the place is nearly full already.  There are still two seats at the bar though, which works for us.  They’re good enough to let us leave our bikes in the entryway, where they’re dry and we can see them from where we sit.  The menu is fairly limited, and nothing looks quite right to me.  I order steak and eggs, but then immediately change my mind when I learn that the market price today is $42.  Instead, we each order a small Caesar salad and I select the double high quiche.  

There’s a mistake with the order, and only one small Caesar salad is delivered.  Which is lucky, because in this case small means huge, and is nearly enough for three.    We cancel the second salad, split this one, and then the most enormous slice of quiche I’ve ever seen arrives.    it looks like a wedge shaped skyscraper.

I didn’t really think about what ‘double high’ might mean with a quiche. I thought maybe it had a magic ingredient.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnA double high quiche:
Made with the magic mushrooms?
Or just really tall?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We hang around at the restaurant for as long as we feel entitled to and then retire to a bench in Bronson Park, where we sit for the next hour and a half.  The day has dried out and the sun is breaking out, and we have to move to find a spot in the shade to stay comfortable.

Then back to our hotel, which agreed to let us come back and hang out there over drinks until the train departs.  And then, finally, the train - only fifteen minutes late, which with America’s train system is really the best to be hoped for.

The weather is fine all the way to Ann Arbor - sunny, puffy white clouds.  If it wasn’t 80+ degrees and highly humid it might have been fine to follow the original plan of biking to Albion today and Ann Arbor tomorrow.  If we’d known the weather would turn out this way we’d have done that of course; but there’s nothing to be done about it now but to sit and enjoy the ride.

In Bronson Park. Rocky’s partner has stepped out of the picture, leaving some big shoes to fill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Ann Arbor we stopped off at the food coop to pick up breakfast for the next few days before proceeding to our hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 26 miles, 700’; for the tour: 1,019 miles, 29,500’

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 1,019 miles (1,640 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0