This is not the end of the tour - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2021

This is not the end of the tour

Life on the lake 

Vance and Laurie make life at the lake look pretty sweet - especially if it’s catered.  Vance has many fine qualities, but high on the list is that he’s an outstanding chef.  We half-heartedly offered to help prepare the meal, knowing and relieved that he would refuse.  After hiding out in the kitchen for an hour he put together this wonderful spread:

Grilled swordfish, broccolini, tomatoes, pasta with corn, roasted red peppers, onions, and fresh oregano from the garden. Just an improvisation that Vance whipped up on the spur of the moment.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Gregory GarceauChef G. is willing to admit when he's been outdone by a master. I've never grilled swordfish in my life. (But now I WANT to.)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

At sundown we walked with flashlights down to the waterfront to sit on their dock, stare at the pond, and wait for the show.  Tonight is the annual Light Up the Lake event, when families living around the lake paddle around the pond in or on illuminated water craft.  It’s all a bit surreal, watching these ghostly figures drifting slowly across the water.

It is so quiet! No sounds at all except for an occasional splash from a fish jumping or the sound of a voice, audible from the opposite side of the pond.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In honor of the Olympics, this boat drifted by broadcasting the theme music from the Games.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Gregory GarceauThat Olympic tribute is pretty cool. They probably knew that two Minnesotans are bringing home gold medals.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ghost ship.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This figure drifted by on a stand-up paddle board. Is that you Tim, Laurie calls out, thinking it might be her cousin Katie’s boyfriend. Yup, he shouts back.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnVery cool!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

So that was yesterday.  Today there is some unenthusiastic talk of going out for a ride, but neither of us is into it.  Rachael goes for a walk with Vance and Laurie, while the GBO and I stay behind, slaving away at packing the bikes for our upcoming flight.

The GBO looks on with some sadness, happy to be adding a new state to his life list but sorry to see the tour come to an end. We haven’t told him yet that this has only been part one.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnHe will be so excited when he finds out what's next!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
You never know what you might see when you live in the woods. This was on the sheet of our bed today.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltTomentose burying beetle, looks like.

https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2016/09/18/tomentose-burying-beetle-2/

Interesting! Good photo helps find the ID.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat is interesting. I wonder what an insect that feeds off dead animals was doing in our bed!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

This is the end / this is the beginning

Look both ways!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Like Janus, we like to look back before looking forward to a new chapter in our vagabond lives.  It’s time to close out this journal and move on to the second half of the larger journey.  Before then, a brief recap.  At nine weeks this was by far the longest domestic tour we’ve taken.  Other than for a few short tours in the past, this is really the first time that either of us has spent any significant time in the the Midwest and northeast.  There were many surprises for both of us, and I doubt either of us will think about this part of the country in the same way again.  New York State in particular was a revelation to us.  We’ve been here three times before, but really only on Manhattan Island.  We were really surprised by how interesting and appealing parts of the state were, especially in the Finger Lakes region.  It won’t be surprising if we make it back for another visit some year soon.

Some key metrics:

  • Nine states!
  • 66 days on the road.
  • Miles by bicycle: 2,675.
  • Travel by other means:

                By Boat: from Maniwotoc to Luddington

                By Taxi: from Douglas to Kalamazoo

                By train: from Kalamazoo to Ann Arbor

                By bus: from Dunkirk to Buffalo.

  • Second breakfasts: 4
  • CycleBlaze meetups: 2
  • Flat tires: 2
  • Dog bites: Zero!!

As always, thank you so much for following along and encouraging or entertaining us through your comments.  We don’t see many folks we know on the road, and you feel like family to us.  Please, do stay around after the intermission for The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe.  

Heart 3 Comment 2
Zelda MekCongratulations on a successful tour. Your ability to do photos, writing, and editing is a gift to all of us. Reading your journals is the next best thing to being on our own tour.

Holler when you come back through the Finger Lakes!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Zelda MekThanks so much, Zelda. Really generous feedback, and much appreciated. And yes, of course if/when we pass through your region you’ll be hearing from us. It would be great to meet up irl.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Rich FrasierAww…I’m always sad when a journal comes to an end. I’ve really enjoyed this one. Great writing and photography as usual. Thank you seems inadequate. I’m looking forward to part 2.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensHappy to continue to follow along...
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnThanks, as always, for the entertaining and thorough documentation of your travels. Always a great way to start the day .. seeing what you two are up to.

Can't wait to see where you take GBO next. He's the luckiest bottle opener I know!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnHe IS lucky! And such a freeloader. It’s not easy carrying this little brick around everywhere. He isn’t always suitably appreciative either. We’re thinking of starting to charge him a tourism assessment, maybe a fee for each new country or state we take him to.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierThanks again, Rich. Not this year it looks like, but I’m really looking forward to stitching Limoux into our itinerary soon. Of course, if you should find yourselves in Bavaria or Italy this fall, be sure to let us know.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ron SuchanekFinally getting caught up ony journal reading!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekNot bad. Just one continent behind.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago