Douglas - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2021

Douglas

We set the alarm for a possible early start this morning.  Depending on what weather conditions are, we thought we might want to eat a rushed breakfast in the room and then start biking.  When we rise and check the weather though it looks more promising.  Rains aren’t due to arrive until about three.  With only 36 miles ahead, we can afford to walk across the street to Panera for breakfast sandwiches and decent coffee.

Looking across from our motel to this morning’s breakfast. The straight-out flag tells us something about the day ahead though - into the wind the whole way.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We don’t hang around for long though.  By eight we’re on the road, still heading south on US Bike Highway 35.  Riding is easier than expected.  The 15 mph headwinds are there, but often we’re partially shielded from them by roadside trees or the next slight rise ahead.  It’s also maybe less interesting than expected though, as we pass one large-lotted ranch style home after another.  It’s pleasant enough, but it feels almost like we’re cycling through a 20 mile long suburb. 

The main thing though, and the only thing we really care about today, is that it’s dry.  At the distance we’re facing, with our early start we look to reach Douglas by 11:30.  The weather report indicates that we should be good until at least 2, so we add back in the four miles of the US 35 Route that I had cut out of the plan to take the most direct, fastest route possible.  These miles look worth taking because they follow so close to the lake shore - but once again the lake is only occasionally visible out the back acreage of another estate.

Truly interesting sights are pretty scattered today, but this counts. This is the coal-fueled Campbell generating station run by Consumers Energy. The plan, surprisingly announced only yesterday, is to shut this plant down in 2025, ending the company’s reliance on coal. The utility claims it will be one of the first major utilities in the country to eliminate coal usage, and will replace its generating capacity with solar. Yes!!!
Heart 5 Comment 0
It’s not all lake houses and power plants today. This pretty stretch crosses Pigeon Creek, just upstream from the Campbell complex.
Heart 2 Comment 0
If Pablo had a pig, it might look something like this.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We find ourselves in Holland already, about six weeks earlier than we had been expecting. Oh, wait - not THAT Holland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I tried to get Rachael to move the dumpster for a cleaner shot, but she thought it added something, she’s right. It adds a dumpster.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanI thought this was team Anderson. She needs to cooperate more.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanI’ll be sure to pass that on. She’s due for a little constructive feedback.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Beyond Holland, I look up and see that the sky is starting to grey over and clouds are building up on the horizon.  I pick up the pace - there will be hell to pay if it starts raining in those extra four miles I talked us into adding back in.  

Video sound track: Candleman, by Billy McLaughlin

We arrive dry in Saugutuck about noon.  We’re only two miles from our motel in neighboring Douglas, but it’s too soon to check in.  The restaurant selection looks better here so we look along the Kalamazoo River waterfront for a likely lunch spot and end up at the BARge.  It’s an attractive, open place with inside tables facing the water.  We’re graciously allowed to wheel the bikes in and lean them against the wall in case the rain comes in early, so we have a deal.  

With only two miles to the motel from here, we can afford to hang around for as long as the weather holds.  We each order an excellent salmon plate and settle in. 

The BARge in Saugutuck provides an attractive spot to hang out for a while, and an excellent lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The salmon plate, with garlic mashed potatoes and sautéed maple-bacon brussel sprouts.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Kelly IniguezBrussel sprouts are my favorite! I could eat an entire pan, alone!

We finally got a little weather here in dry western Colorado. I got a little wet on the way home - wet enough to ask Jacinto if he thought we needed to buy rain pants for Michigan . . . . neither of us even own rain pants. They are a slippery problem when sitting on my recumbent set. So much sliding that my knee ends up hurting from all of the 'slide down, push back up, slide down, etc'

Hurray for a dry day!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezI hate rain pants. I have a pair, but I shipped them ahead to New York for the second half of the tour. It has to be really cold and wet for me to consider them. Rachael will use them on occasion though.

That said, you might look at the weather forecast up here for the next two weeks. Pretty bleak. The west burns, but we’ll likely drown.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezJim Fitch says we should repurpose the oil pipelines for water from the south to the west.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
On the Kalamazoo River, Saugutuck.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Running the Kalamazoo in style.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s nearing two when we decide it’s time to leave.  It looks like we still have some room with the weather, but Rachael can’t take it any longer.  There’s a boisterous party of five at the bar right next to us, but I haven’t really been tuned in to them.  Gradually though it registers that one of the men is wearing a tee with TRUMP emblazoned on the front, and he and his buddy are in an animated conversation about guns and the best way to manage BLM protesters.  Once Rachael started listening, she can’t stop.  It’s time to move on.

It’s only two miles from the motel, but when I look at the darkening skies across the river it’s clear that we’ve left at the right time.

Crossing the bridge into Douglas, looking back across Kalamazoo Lake.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We’re staying at the Blue Star Motel, about a half mile south of town and right on US 35.  It’s a small place and we have a small room, but I like it.  The back door from our room opens onto a lawn, with a covered concrete apron with chairs and small tables beside each room.    It’s a perfect spot to store the bikes, and a sheltered spot to sit and watch the weather.  I take the iPad out to work on the journal, and Rachael walks down the street to research the ice cream situation.

Fifteen minutes after we reached our room, it happens.  With astonishing suddenness it starts raining, hard.  There are a few rumbles, then more, then flashes of lightning light up the dark sky.  It’s pouring, and doesn’t let up for well over an hour.  Very sobering - that could have been us out there, miserable and cowering in some dismal spot hoping that it would pass sometime soon.  The next morning we’ll learn that nearly three inches of rain dropped between now and then.

For me and the GBO who tagged along to finally see a bit of Michigan, it’s just a dramatic show.  Not so for Rachael though - it breaks out while she’s still at the ice cream shop a couple of blocks away she’s worse for wear when she finally makes her dash back to the room.

Here it comes. Sobering.
Heart 3 Comment 0
So this is what Michigan is like, the GBO whispers to my pair of needle nosed pliers that tagged along to give him a boost.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnWhat a pair!

GBO definitely looks happy to be protected from the rain.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 40 miles, 1,100’; for the tour: 993 miles, 28,800’

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 993 miles (1,598 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0