Buffalo (a photo gallery) - The Road to Rome, Part One: America - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2021

Buffalo (a photo gallery)

It began raining shortly after we checked in to our downtown hotel, with brief respites timed perfectly as we walked to and from our restaurant for lunch.  After that though it rained and rumbled throughout the afternoon.  We were both quite happy to sit around our room and enjoy an enforced day off.

By about six though the rain stopped and we walked out to explore the neighborhood for the next two hours.  We were happy to get out, and surprised by the wealth of impressive structures are concentrated here.

The Electric Tower, a Beaux-Arts design built in 1912.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Electric Tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Electric Tower. Its entryway reminds me of the Empire State Building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Lafayette Square: Soldiers and Sailors, a Civil War monument.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was unable to find the identity of this building off of Lafayette Square. We should have followed along behind a tour group to overhear its leader’s description.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Erie County Hall, a monumental granite structure built between 871 and 1875.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Erie County Hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the pair of Statue of Liberty replicas crowning the towers of the Liberty Building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the Liberty Building, showing both towers. In 2010, the French tightrope walker Didier Pasquette completed a 150 foot crossing between the two towers in just under three minutes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The fantastic Buffalo City Hall, opened in 1932, is one of the largest and costliest city halls in the country.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Art Deco detail on the Buffalo City Hall is really amazing. The longer you look, the more there is to see.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Buffalo City Hall. This detail is especially surprising because it’s at the top of the building, far above street level and hard to see with the naked eye.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Lednar De NallohAmazing architecture, they don't build them like that anymore.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Lednar De NallohThat’s for sure. You could stare at this masterpiece a long time and keep finding something new. I’d love to come back and peek inside too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Buffalo City Hall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Buffalo City Hall.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The frieze over the west entrance to Buffalo City Hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The frieze over the east entrance, stacked into three sections.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hands up! The Buffalo City Hall gives us our pareidolia submission for the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another remarkable building in the neighborhood of Lafayette Square is the Robert H. Jackson federal courthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Robert H. Jackson courthouse was opened in 2011. Zoom in on the face of the lower glass structure in front, it’s entrance pavillion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The glass entrance pavilion of the federal courthouse is inscribed with the U.S. constitution and its amendments, repeated multiple times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sandstone eastern face of the Jackson building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The obelisk of the McKinley Monument, erected in memory of President McKinley who was assassinated here at the Pan-American Exposition in 1901.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of four dolorous lions circling the base of the McKinley Monument.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Beaux-Arts Buffalo Savings Bank, opened in 1901.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Buffalo Savings Bank, and the view north along Main Street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Keith KleinHi,
Happy belated anniversary. Thanks for all the photos of Buffalo, my birth city. It’s changed a bit in 70 years, but some of the buildings are recognizable. The city was once a hot bed of the arts and crafts movement and the old houses in the historic district are worth a look. My grandparents lived on Parkside in one of those houses, but I’d be hard pressed to say just which one it is anymore.
You’ve been riding through the country of my youth, from Cleveland to Buffalo and your photos brought a lot of memories. Childhood in Buffalo, high school in Madison, Ohio, summers on the Erie shore near Dunkirk, family reunions at Chautauqua, all in memory still green. And it looks like you’ll be passing through more of the places where my family once lived, so I’ll be following avidly.
I think you’ve got a good plan for Europe and Britain. The Schengen zone is great if you live here, but the rules are designed to get you in to spend your money and out before you need to call on local services if you don’t.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith KleinHowdy! I’d forgotten which part of the world you hailed from, if I ever knew. Glad you’ve been enjoying following along. Like many places we tour through, I was surprised by how much there is of interest to see in Buffalo and ended up wishing we’d budgeted more time.

It took some discussion, but we’re both happy with our plan for next year. There’s just so much less overhead and planning than it would take to get a long-stay visa. Assuming this vision holds up, maybe we can hook up when we pass through Burgundy. If you’re feeling at all noatalgic, maybe we could bring you a bottle of Welch’s to remind you of the old country.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinTo Scott AndersonWelch’s!! I picked grapes for them when I was a teenager. Pay rate was 10 cents/ crate if I remember correctly. Mogen David paid better, but you had to be kosher, which meant I couldn’t bring mom’s ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch. I suppose they all use machines now.
Cheers
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauI've been lucky enough to have cycle toured through Keith's old stomping grounds not only in the Lake Erie area, but also in various places he's lived and ridden his bike in Minnesota. He always pops up out of nowhere to comment on my journals and I always appreciate that.
I really enjoyed my day in Buffalo and I didn't even explore it as thoroughly as you did.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/mntoma/a-day-in-canada/
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinAnd here I am again. The luck is all mine getting to see familiar places through new eyes.
Cheers,
Jack-in-the-box Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago