Chama, NM - Antonito, CO - The Mountain Goat Tour - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2011

Chama, NM - Antonito, CO

Jacinto is not as happy this morning. It's on the nippy side, IMO. In his opinion, it's freezing. It was a long time until we saw the sun with the climb up through the canyon. Plus we had the typical 'downhill before the sun rises' wind. As soon as the sun came up, the wind died.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A note for those climbing mountain (at least those in Colorado) - the wind comes down the mountain in the morning - then as the sun heats the air, the wind reverses directions and is a tailwind. Another helpful tip on mountain passes is to try and get off of the top by noon. The later in the afternoon you crest the pass, the more likely you will hit afternoon thunderstorms.

This is a contradiction. Of course you'd rather ride up the pass with the tailwind. But can you get to the top of the climb before the thunderstorms? It's a balancing act.

Ah! A patch of sunshine! This is a pretty, pretty road today. What a reward for our climbing effort.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The only photo I have of myself with my bike from the entire trip. How did that happen? Guess that's what comes from riding alone most of the time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we rode here last year, we didn't see the New Mexico border sign. Here it is!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nearing the top of the pass - the clouds look innocently fluffy at the moment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A couple of cowboys and a very hard working dog were gathering up a herd of cattle to move them across the road. We were advised (politely) by a Yosemite Sam looking fellow in a pick up truck that we were welcome to watch - but please move either up the road or down the road because were we were was exactly where they wanted the cattle to go. When we caught up with the California crew later, they were very excited to see a part of the old west is still alive.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 2nd pass for the day. It was a very reasonable climb from Chama. Nothing too steep - just a gradual ascent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the gang catches up for a group photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cheryl and Genny in front of our Antonito lodging, Narrow Gauge Railroad Inn. This is an older, basic motel located on the edge of town. It is half the price of the new place in town and has air conditioning (a commodity on this trip). The 1911 Hotel in town has the rooms on the second floor - all of them had fans in the window. I felt hot just looking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0