Antonito - South Fork, NM - The Mountain Goat Tour - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2011

Antonito - South Fork, NM

I got lucky today. Jacinto rode with me the entire day. Yippee! Company! We started out all riding together, except John. The sore butt brigade had taken to wear two pairs of bike shorts at once, with very satisfactory results. Ken joked that today might be a three shorts day as it was our longest mileage day and very, very flat - so there would be plenty of time sitting down.

As we got down the road, Cheryl commented that we were riding so fast that we might get to town before her butt started to hurt. I told her this was the payback for all of the climbing. Flat feels SO easy after multiple days of climbing.

Another abandoned farm. Flat farm land in this area, ringed by mountains. We got to enjoy the mountain views without climbing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The potatoes plants are getting higher and higher.
Heart 0 Comment 0
While we had seen many potato fields in the northern San Luis Valley around Saguache, here in the southern part of the valley we saw a field of rape seed. It is used to make canola oil.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical afternoon in town - sitting on the deck chatting and snacking. All of the group except Jim and Genny were on the back side of the rooms at the Spruce Lodge. We had the view, but our rooms hadn't been remodeled yet. Jim and Genny's room was on the front side. Same price, much larger and decorated cute. The lodge had a good continental breakfast, or you can pay $8.50 for bacon, eggs, and pancakes. All of our group except for me went for the hot breakfast. I didn't exactly get out early in the morning - it was a short day and I didn't want to fight the early morning headwind. I was only a few miles down the road before everyone caught me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A friendly kitty came by to say hi.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 miles (121 km)
Total: 75 miles (121 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0