Angel Fire - Taos, NM - The Mountain Goat Tour - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2011

Angel Fire - Taos, NM

Saddle sores were quite an issue this trip. The favored treatment was Preparation H on the exact sore and A & D ointment slathered all over as insurance. Cheryl decided to take the direct 20 mile route to Taos (our planned route was following the Enchanted Circle - 66 miles) to give her butt a break. Ken escorted her as he had seen the road through Red River many times and he was concerned about her riding the steep downhill into Taos alone.

Jacinto didn't see this dragon near the start of Hwy 38. For some reason it made me think of the Loch Ness Monster swimming through a sea of grass instead of water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road takes a tilt upwards as we approach Bobcat Pass. This was our only named Pass in New Mexico. We certainly went over many high points that should have had names.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Genny (Long Haul Trucker) caught me on the climb and stopped to chat while she waited for Jim. He took so long that she debated going back downhill. He was changing batteries in his GPS - no mechanical issues. :)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacinto at the top of Bobcat Pass 9,825 feet. He decided to err on the side of caution and bring the Long Haul Trucker this trip instead of the single speed as he wasn't familiar with the terrain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The downhill had undulating downhill climbs. Genny said she had such fun on the roller coast downhills she couldn't help but laugh from joy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were back into pinon country, soon to hit the sagebrush around Taos. I enjoyed watching the change in vegetation as our elevation increased and decreased.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw many elaborate roadside shrines for people who had been killed in auto accidents.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacinto stopped at the only tree for miles. We stood in the shade and ate salted almonds. The salt really hit the spot. It was getting quite warm here. I would have wet my shirt down, had that been an option. Luckily, the cloud cover was fairly good. As we stood in the shade, a man on a bicycle with rear panniers rode pass. He said hello, but didn't stop. We debated whether he was a local (floppy sun hat), or a cycle tourist (well worn rear panniers).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our rest day location in Taos was the Casa Benavides. It is a very nice B & B. We had our own little courtyard to relax in. the afternoon high tea was a hit with our group. Tea, lemonade, and many types of homemade sweets were served. Breakfast was also a hit - delicious homemade granola as a starter - then a baked egg dish with fresh green chili. Too tasty. Our location was a half block off of the plaza. Perfect for exploring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0