To Ilok: Croatia gets hilly - Heading mostly South through Eastern Europe - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2015

To Ilok: Croatia gets hilly

Today was a mixed day. Leaving Osijek, it was mostly farmland.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It rolled gently for a while.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Vukovar is a big city that was midway on today's ride. The city and the surrounding area sustained a lot of damage during the civil war in the 1990's. There are a lot of damaged buildings still, although many are undergoing restoration or rebuilding.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a war memorial, a water tower that suffered damage during multiple attacks, but managed to keep standing. The information board at the site refers to the "Croatian Homeland War" and says the tower is a symbol of "devastation, but also ... of resistance, defiance, and invincibilty."

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is another memorial in the way out of town, with a large cemetery. It did not have any information boards. There were a lot of local people there, and I tried to be respectful and keep my distance.

Beyond that, there were quite a few more vineyards.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The road got especially challenging, with 6% and 8% dips down to villages and then 6% and 8% climbs back up. I think there was a series of 5 of these, and true to form, I walked some of the hills.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The river popped into view at one of these villages. You wouldn't think a route that follows a river would be so hilly!

I stopped in The town of Ilok. It has some wineries, and is one of the few towns on today's ride with accommodation options. I'm at a restaurant/hotel/winery, and had dinner here. I had a glass of their wine. It was good. I should be drinking more while I can!

There is a bridge across the river to Serbia not far from here. Tomorrow I'll have a choice whether to ride the north side in Serbia or the south side in Croatia.

Rare view across the river. Is it flatter over there, or is that an illusion?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 83 km (52 miles)
Total: 2,210 km (1,372 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0