Pouilly en Auxois to Montbard - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 6 - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2022

Pouilly en Auxois to Montbard

Crackers for lunch and a swim in another pool.

September 13 Tuesday 65kms

Pouilly en Auxois to Montbard 

Crackers for lunch and a swim in another pool.

Breakfast at the table with Jean, bonjoured all and sundry walking by. Away around 10:00 slightly cloudy but still hot. There’s the boat tunnel  at the start and then the country opens out.

Leaving camp.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The path is very easy, sealed and a good speed can be quickly achieved. This morning there are some boats and a few day cyclists. There’s also the usual number of pecheurs sitting with concentration. This time though, there is a difference- we see one chap catch a sizeable fish. We’re nearly as excited as he is. There is life in the canal after all. He tells me there are beaucoup fish in there, but since he releases his catch, it’s possible he’s catching the same fish time and again- n’est-ce pas? I didn’t put this propsition to him. 

Yes- there is life in the canal!
Heart 2 Comment 0


 We lunch  with Jean at a spot along the way. He’s an entertaining conversationalist, telling us about his ‘hippie’ days traveling in Asia. We didn’t  buy bread at start of day and found no Boulangerie so crackers and tomatoes for lunch.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The green of Burgundy is such a contrast to other parts.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Un ecluse.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The countryside really opens out and small villages can be seen in the hills. We also come across a settlement  of stylish but simple wooden houses along the canal.

Heart 1 Comment 0

 We arrive in  Montbard around 4:00  decide that the easiest way to get to Beaune is by train, so buy tickets. Nearing the station I hear that familiar dee- da da da signature call of the French rail. Then it’s food, campground and tent up. Nice campground and free ticket to the flash indoor pool nearby. I’m told ‘Only Speedos’ and so have to go back and get mine. They don’t notice the band aid over a graze from a fall I had a week back though.

 We dine with Jean - he on rice and us on chicken and potatoes with tomatoes and cucumber. We talk until drops of rain start and then it’s a hurried clearing up before we climb into sleeping bags and listen to the water dripping off the leaves above.

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,074 km (667 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Mary HutchingOMG speedos! That would put a lot of Kiwis out of contention. I can remember seeing a couple of French families in our local pool. The guys were wearing what looked almost like thongs. They got a lot of strange looks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mary HutchingJust had another thought. What do the Aussie call them? Budgie smugglers. What if you're too fat for speedos?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Michael HutchingThey’re like boxers. Quite good.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago