Montbard to Beaune - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 6 - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2022

Montbard to Beaune

Escaping the rain by train.

Montbard to Beaune 16kms

Escaping the rain by train.

It’s 7:00 we are lying in our tent, listening to the unrelenting rain pounding Marmot’s fly. The waterproofing done before leaving was working - so far. We pack our panniers and bags inside the tent before making a run for the overhang of the sanitaire and stashing each bag there. There’s always that moment of calm inside the tent before throwing oneself out to brave the elements.

Lastly there is the tent- fly first and then the rest. Once all this is stashed we pack our bikes and head up to the camp café for a shot of coffee before leaving. By now the rain has ceased and the ride to the station is accomplished easily as we cycle through the old part of Montbard.  

Early morning Montbard.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Gare Montbard!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Which end is the velos carriage?
Heart 1 Comment 0

    
Once at the station, we settle down to wait for the 9:58 am. Finding the bike carriage is easy and we’re soon speeding towards Beaune. We chat to French couple who are alighting at Dijon. In fact almost everyone does, leaving us plenty of space to stretch out.
At Beaune we walk through the town towards our hotel and tempted by the ambience and cooking smells in Place Carnot stop and order the plat de jour- lamb. Ann orders a particularly fragrant côte haut Bourgogne which I covet, having gone for a rosé. Sitting a table or two away three Tongan lads are listening to the All Blacks, Wallabies Rugby.

Beaune. Where’s the lift?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fine dining with map.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The haute côte Beaune or the rosé?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sans paroles!
Heart 0 Comment 0


We enjoy a walk through the city, but by late afternoon head for our hotel. It’s small with no secure lock up for velos, though there is a fenced carpark so I park and lock them up outside our ground floor window. We watch the preliminaries to the Elizabeth ll funeral on BBC. 

Today's ride: 16 km (10 miles)
Total: 1,107 km (687 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0