Dijon - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 6 - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2022

Dijon

Dijon definitely cuts the moutarde.

Dijon

Dijon definitely cuts the moutarde.

September 11 Sunday

Today we explore the Village Gastronomique and enjoy a walk around the city. It’s an impressive town and easy  to walk about with broad and long pedestrian precincts. There’s a flea market in progress before we enter the main precinct.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Market day - class of products never vary wherever one goes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

 The buildings are striking, being in a number of styles and designs and the kind streets give clear vistas. The central city churches operate for religious observation but two we noticed were being used as theatres. The city is also very well signposted and tidy, without some of the litter which seems to plague other cities.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Dijon has beautiful clear vistas.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

There are also shop windows with quirky and stylish displays.

Tour de France in miniature.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


And of course there’s the mustard. At least two outlets are open and emphasise their historical background.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Take your choice of mustard.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walk on to the Village Gastronomique. Here we have a look at the presentations and interactive activities related to our relationship with food, our knowledge of cuisine and our eating habits. It’s all done with a fairly light touch but contains a wealth of information too.

The traditional pommes frites Citroen van.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patisserie de France.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our favourites. Originally made for travel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


We munch on le sandwich from the boulangerie and then walk back through the city looking at the various buildings and churches we come across. The city has some massive churches though none is really in the traditional gothic mold. The are more grand than beautiful really. 

We look through the Musee de Beaux Arts which has an interesting modern section and also some 19th century paintings of local scenes. Some create powerfully,  the views we get of the water and greenery while en route.

More lurid colours than many 1950s painters used.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They’re playing our game here. Not the All Blacks as far as I could tell.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Impressionist style.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cubist crucifixion.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at chez nous we dine heartily and prepare to launch on the Burgundy section of our ride.

Dining in.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0