Day 2: Xenia to Columbus - Let’s tour Ohio… again - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2022

Day 2: Xenia to Columbus

Corn, soybeans, trains, rivers, and Ohio' capital city

Passing through Ohio farmlands
Heart 0 Comment 0

The forecast today was not optimal. Rain was in the forecast over the past few days for today. It was my day to ride with the cyclists as a volunteer.  I set out from Xenia under threatening skies. The rain did not appear, and the skies turned blue as I cycled into Columbus.

It was a ride with little elevation. The Ohio to Erie Trail leaves the Miami Valley in Xenia and heads northeast through western Ohio’s flat farmlands.  First up was Cedarville, a small village with a Christian college. Next up was South Charleston, a typical rural Ohio farm town. I then passed through London, the county seat for Madison County. The day ended in Columbus, Ohio’s capital city.

Rail cars at Lilly Chapel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today’s ride varied even though it passed through miles of corn and soybean fields. The trail travels on streets in South Charleston and London. It is a quiet ride with a nice view of small-town Ohio life. One of the most interesting places is Lilly Chapel, east of London. The Camp Chase Trail is a trail with rail. What seems like a mile of railroad cars line the south side of the trail while croplands and pastures line the north side. 

Columbus skyline at the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy Rivers
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride into Columbus, Ohio’s largest city, is almost all trail following the Scioto River through a canopy of green. I love cycling into Columbus from the west. I get a skyline view from the outer belt that disappears behind the canopy of trees. The skyline reappears up close when I cycle over the confluence of the Scioto and Olentangy Rivers on the Scioto Greenway. 

The trail exits onto a city street through the Arena District reimagined into an urban neighborhood with sports arenas, retail, and entertainment. My ride ended at the Drury Inn on Nationwide Boulevard, right on the Ohio to Erie Trail course through the Arena District.

Beers to end the day
Heart 0 Comment 0

My friend Kevin and I set out for an evening in the Short North. Dinner was first up at Brassica, a Mediterranean casual restaurant. Any visit to Columbus is not complete without a visit to Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams. The wedding cake was out of this world. We capped the evening off with beers Whistle and Keg in the Arena District.

Quote of the Day

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. - Anthony J. D'Angelo
60 miles cycled from Xenia to Columbus
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tom’s Miles 
  •  Today: 60
  • On this tour: 60

Today's Trivia

Camp Chase was a Civil War training and prison camp. It was a training camp for Ohio volunteer army soldiers, a parole camp, a muster outpost, and later a prisoner-of-war camp. As many as 150,000 Union soldiers and 25,000 Confederate prisoners passed through its gates from 1861 to 1865. More than 2,200 Confederates are buried in the Camp Chase Cemetery. The Camp Chase Railway which parallels the Camp Chase Trail serviced this camp.

Follow the Tour

No need to jump on a train or canal boat as I pedal the tracks of steam locomotives and canal boats across the Buckeye State. You can just check me out on social media at Cycle Blaze and Instagram with hashtags  #OH2Erie and #Moffitt22.   

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 130 miles (209 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0