Rudesheim: We leave the Rhine - A Miraculous Tour Around France and Germany - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2017

Rudesheim: We leave the Rhine

Yesterday when we booked in at the hotel they asked us if we were wanting to eat there. The menu looked good so we said yes. Dinner started at 5.30 and they asked us what time. Knowing how early Germans eat I said 6.30. Then she came back to me and said could we make it 6.00. I thought they must be very busy so said OK. Surprisingly when we got to dinner there weren't very many people there and those there were well into their meals. We had a lovely meal. The moment we finished the staff were off at high speed they were going to the Winefest! That was the real reason for our early meal they could get off quicker.

Today's ride was so short it really was like a day off. We took it very slowly and went into every little town and had a leisurely look around. Bacharach in particular was charming with its many half timbered buildings. This part of the Rhine is an amazing transport corridor. On both side of the river are busy rail lines and roads and our cycle track is squeezed between these and the extremely active waterway. Somehow however it has managed to maintain its charm and interest with the beautiful little towns, the numerous castles and the vineyards on the sunny slopes. It does get a bit noisy at times though and we were pleased that for a good part of the ride today we a bit separated from the road.

It was at Bingen that we were to catch the ferry across the river to Rudesheim. Bingen is known for St Hildegard of Bingen who in the 11th century established a Monastery there. She was a poet and musician and some of here music has survived to this day. We went into the town but were a bit disappointed, I think we have been spoilt. So it was down to the water front to find our ferry to Rudesheim. Things were certainly happening here and our hotel is comfortable and charming. Tomorrow we leave the Rhine and star to make our way along the Main Radweg.

This little castle in the middle of the river is my favourite castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bacharach
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bacharach
Heart 0 Comment 0
A castle above the railway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heavy loads going down the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our ferry arrives
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rudesheim
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 2,264 km (1,406 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0