Colmar - A Miraculous Tour Around France and Germany - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2017

Colmar

I had forgotten how different it is to be in Germany rather than France. My French is awful but I can understand road signs and menus. I can make my wants known and can more or less understand what people are saying to me and carry out simple conversations. In Germany things are quite different I can understand virtually nothing. When presented with the menu last night I was completely confused so panicked and went for pasta. It was good. The breakfast this morning lived up to what I expect of a German breakfast a perfectly boiled egg and a wonderfully fresh brochen.

The weather was good today cold in the morning but by the time we arrived in Colmar the sky was blue and the sun shining. We found our way remarkably easily and it was on cycle paths nearly all the way and they were paved which seemed luxury after the mud of yesterday. Although we were passing through pretty little villages well decorated by flowers there were of course no services. Eventually we came to Vogelsheim there was a flea market going on with the most amazing collection of junk. More importantly slightly further on was a PMU. Being Sunday it was packed with people intent on becoming instant millionaires, we were able to find a table where we could see the bikes and had a tiny coffee. Shortly after we came to Vauban’s last work the fortified town of Neuf Brischach which was constructed at the end of the 17th century. Inside its octagonal walls it is well preserved and well worth visiting. Lunch was in a bus stop.

Arriving in Colmar it was absolutely packed. There was some sort of festival going on. It is very pretty but so touristy it makes me feel instantly tired. Finding the hotel was a mission but eventually we achieved it and the calm of our room. We had intended riding the Route des Vins to Strassbourg but the narrow roads and the huge number of people in the district have turned us off so we will take the easy way along the canal and what is more we will be able to find our hotel as it is next to the Cathedral

We were following along from one pointy spire to another
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken thought this part of the flea market looked interesting
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fortified walls of Neuf Breisach. I dont know what thr elephant is about!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of Neuf Breisach's city gates
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colmar
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colmar
Heart 0 Comment 0
Someone in Colmar had a Bugatti
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colmar
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,589 km (987 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0