Bad Staffelstein: A very different day - A Miraculous Tour Around France and Germany - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2017

Bad Staffelstein: A very different day

We have done some miscalculations so have left ourselves with ridiculously short days I have already booked the hotels so will have to stick with it and see how we can put in a bit of extra distance

Today really was a very different day to the ones we have had lately. We started off by retracing our steps to join the Main Radweg where we had left it. It all seemed so easy when we knew how to do it. At 9.00 in the morning there were few people around. I think that very few people follow the Main Radweg all the way to Bayreuth and mainly start or finish in Bamberg as no longer were we seeing touring cyclists as we had previously and actually only saw one lot all day. All day we were twisting and turning as the route joined up small roads and existing cycle ways, it was taking us through lots of small fairly modern towns. I think that most of them were serving the farming communities around them and all of them really looked pretty prosperous. With what seemed like large scale farming there weren't small old tractors around and those working were massive. However Ken did see one little Eicher from the fifties in a shed so that made his day.

Bad Staffelstein has thermal pools associated with it. These are in an area just before you go under the railway to get into the town. There were hundreds of cars parked and a number of resort style hotels, everyone must have been soaking the bodies in the warm water. The town however is relatively normal and has an old church and Rathaus and some other old buildings. Our hotel is a fairly new building run by a delightful woman. There is absolutely no English at all but it was amazing how we coped checking in. The room is comfortable and big with a balcony and even a little kitchenette but we will resist using that and go and eat in the restaurant.

A last look at the Bamberg markets
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming out of Bamberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A well trained grape
Heart 0 Comment 0
For the desperate broken down cyclist
Heart 0 Comment 0
She was gathering pears from the road side
Heart 0 Comment 0
One village we went through had old buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
This single cylinder Eicher made Ken's day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
They had bunnies too
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bad Staffelstein
Heart 0 Comment 0
A memorial to the Franco Prussian War
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 2,822 km (1,752 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0