Alencon - A Miraculous Tour Around France and Germany - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2017

Alencon

Our toil up the hill last night was rewarded by a flying start and we were soon back on the Vois Vert where we stayed for most of the day. The weather was threatening and before very long it was raining. We sheltered for a while but that really is pretty boring so before long we decided it was better to just get a bit wet.

Le Mele-sur-Sartre was a nice little town and not even up hill so in we went for a coffee. There was an extremely naughty dog in the bar. As soon as we got our coffee up he hopped into the spare chair, looked very cute then as quick as a flash ate the sugar lumps from Ken's saucer paper and all. Can just imagine the fuss if this had happened in New Zealand.

Back on the track we soon caught up with the touring Frenchman, he was stopped reinforcing himself by drinking red wine from a pewter goblet- it was 10 am

The last few km were on the road and as usually happens just when you really need it all useful signage disappears. We wandered around a bit and spotted a bike shop, both us needed some minor repairs but it was closing for lunch so it was straight to the Ibis. By this stage I, in particular,was freezing and shaking like a leaf so on with a few more clothes and next door to the little restaurant to have a Menu - very disappointing actually compared with the beautiful food we have been eating.

2pm is the magic time for bike shop opening so off we went on our now unloaded and very frisky bikes, The first shop we tries was 'En Vanence' until 29th Auot - how very French. Back to the original one we had seen and thankfully he had not decided that a Tuesday afternoon was a good time to be shut. Our angel spoke no English but with practiced skill our small problems were now no more.

The forcast is for more rain tomorrow and our route rather remote and difficult so if things dont look better in the morning will catch the train to Flers and if weather permits ride to Dromfront and stay there

On our way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tractor of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stealing sugar lumps makes you fat
Heart 0 Comment 0
A boost on the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
another way to travel
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 15th century church
Heart 0 Comment 0
The oldest organ Ken has seen - 16th century
Heart 0 Comment 0
With practised ease
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 282 km (175 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0