I should have mailed it to the Marx Brothers - The Midwest Triangle - 2023 Summer - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2023

I should have mailed it to the Marx Brothers

DAY SEVENTEEN 

I woke up expecting rain and Sean had told me to stay as long as I needed but come morning the forecast was clear and cool. I only had 4 miles to the room I booked for treat yo self day so I decided I would go ahead and leave early, see if maybe I could dump my bags at the frontdesk room or counter or whatever and see the town a bit. I said my goodbyes to Kiley and the dogs and then Sean and I headed outside where he would pedal off to work and I would take a different route from the day before back into downtown. We chatted in the street until he was a half hour late and then when he split I went to put on my gloves and helmet. Wouldn’t you know I was missing a glove.

Heart 2 Comment 0

I went back to the house and poked around to no avail. The last place I saw them was at the arch when I slipped them under a bungee on the back rack. The route to his place was mostly gravel, train tracks crossings and shitty pothole roads/paths. I surmised that was where I had lost it. 

Instead of taking the roads I backtracked and followed our previous route. Sure enough about halfway back my glove was sitting in the middle of the lane. Success! 

Heart 2 Comment 0

I also got the chance to take my time and enjoy the Mural Mile and take some pictures and video. In celebration of not having to buy new gloves I took myself to chili macs right downtown and had a full breakfast for like, $8. Awesome.

Heart 0 Comment 0

I went to the room I had booked through booking dotcom and it was a nice building right downtown. I found an open door and then an empty office. I rolled the bike inside and waited. After some time a lady appeared and asked what I wanted. I explained my goal and she said noooope. She was not affiliated with my Airbnb that I didn’t even know was an Airbnb and couldn’t take responsibility for my bags. She recommended contacting my host. I began to worry that the room might not be so nice due to the structure of this building and its tenants. We’ll see. I have until 4.

I pedaled straight W and up and down a few long slow hills on somewhat busy roads until I made it into Forest Park. Nancy had recommended it and Sean had said something to the effect that it was the largest in city park in America save Central Park in NYC. It is huge and beautiful and most of the attractions there like the zoo and the art museum are free. Thanks STL taxes!

Heart 1 Comment 0

I tooled around before settling into the art museum and soaking up the AC with old friends like Picasso and Matisse.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0


Before I knew it the room wrote and said my suite was clean and ready for check in an hour early. I booked it to the room, had no issues getting the loaded bike on the elevator and through the doors and dropped the AC to 68. Woot!

Carrying on with the treat yo self day I decided I was hungry for a good steak. Normally I never order steak out because they’re too easy to grill and turn out phenomenal but this time I was going to let loose. I found a cold smoked NY strip dinner two blocks away for $35. I put on my walking shoes and went to get the steak.

The place was full around the bar with young professionals but the tables were empty. I was seated and handed a small electronic tablet to look at the menu. No cold smoked strip. Dang. The closest thing was a regular strip steak but it was now $56. I asked my waitress and she told me the google menu is wrong and they can’t get anyone to fix it. I should have politely left but I ordered the $16 dry rub chicken wings. They were cooked perfectly but the rub was definitely slap ya mama and even though she asked if I wanted ranch or blue cheese it was just ranch on the side of 8 wings. No celery. So be it.

After dinner I went to the grocery and got some fruit and yogurt for breakfast and some donuts for dessert. Back at my place I showered and ate donuts in the nude while I watched Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail. Great movie. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 686 miles (1,104 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0