To Plage de L’Espiguette and back - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2023

To Plage de L’Espiguette and back

Today was a true rest day.  We lingered over second coffees, did laundry and some more bike maintenance, reorganized the panniers and, like mad dogs and Englishmen, we went to the beach in the heat of the noonday sun.

Although the beach at Grande Motte was perfectly nice, we wanted something more so we rode 20km out to the Espiguette Nature Reserve.  Another way cycling is encouraged in this area is that we had free entry while the cars had to pay for parking!  

The beach was stunning, fine sand, hundreds of metres wide and going on forever in both directions.  Although the road out was quite busy, the beach was so vast that humans were sparse.  Families, couples and a few groups of 20somethings, eating elaborate picnics, sunbathing and occasionally wading in for a dip.  We did all three, well Steve swam while Ann got in some extra sunbathing.  The water was about as warm as an average day on Youghall Beach (Ann's home and where we now have a summer cottage) in July.

Feeling rested and rejuvenated, we are ready to continue into the Camargue.

Breakfast study in red and white.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the beach, thinking about swimming.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Steve made it in. The water was actually quite pleasant but the wind was cool.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A nice bike path along by the coast leading to the beaches. Lots of people out on a warm holiday weekend.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A variety of boats at the Grau du Roi marina.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The canal at Grau du Roi
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kathleen WearyWhat a fun boat!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 494 km (307 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kathleen WearyGreat policy to offer free entry for bikes while the cars had to pay for parking! Should be implemented widely.

Jealous you made it in for a swim, good for you dad!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago