Sault to Bedoin - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2023

Sault to Bedoin

Today we got the weather wrong. For the past week the rain has come or been heavier in the afternoons. The forecast called for 80% rain all day and assuming the pattern would continue, we bundled up and departed Sault in a steady rain.  Still the ride was spectacular and perhaps especially so within the mist, cloud and glistening roads. 

Yes, it was raining but the silver linings were:

Other than a few lycra clad cyclists and the Lamborghini club getting in their rides, we had the road to ourselves.

The wind was at our back.

It was really only drizzling.

It was mostly downhill.

It was a short day.

AND 

Most importantly -

The scenery was fabulous through the Nesque Gorge!

And along the way the rain stopped.

AND

We made it to Bedoin in time for a restaurant lunch!  After missing the window the last two days, we found a busy, family-run, Italian restaurant where we pigged out on a delicious three course lunch.  We raised a glass to cycling  with the couple beside us from the Netherlands.  He too was celebrating because he survived his wet, cold ride to the top of Ventoux and back this morning.  Nothing like the camaraderie of fellow cyclists to warm the heart, good food to warm the soul and the heater just over our heads to warm the bodies. 

Leaving the restaurant at 3;30pm the sun was out and the rest of the afternoon was glorious. Perfect to hang out our sodden cycling clothes!

It was a five-jammer breakfast in the sense that our host had made all five of the delicious jams.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A wet start to the ride.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonYou both are tough! That looks miserable!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two cyclists coming in the opposite direction.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWell this is a different take on a classic scene!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
One of many short tunnels
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
We shared the road with a group of about 15 Lamborghini sports cars. I must admit I rather enjoyed making them wait as we pedalled around the blind corners.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cherries grown here. They are known as the red diamonds of Provence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy place!
Heart 8 Comment 0
A bright sunny afternoon back in Bedoin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 1,338 km (831 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0