Hatlestrand to Langenuen - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2023 to July 15, 2023

Hatlestrand to Langenuen

In the morning at our least favourite wild campsite, it wasn't raining, so we counted our blessings and packed up quickly having decided that we'd find a more appealing spot for our breakfast and morning java.  After a 20 minute ride, the sun was shining as we pulled into a Montessori schoolyard in Olve with several picnic tables, a perfect spot for our granola with fresh picked raspberries to ramp up our energy for the day ahead.

Over the next 14km we were treated to stunning vistas, first along the fjord then inland and high over headlands, beside lakes, cottages and well-tended farms.  The clouds were swirling overhead but there was plenty of much-appreciated sunshine after yesterday and no rain!

We stopped in the middle of the high bridge to the Island of Tysnesoy for a look down the narrow corridor to the Hardangerfjord in one direction and the Bjornafjorden in the other.   We then cycled into the town of Lundegrend for lunch at the picnic tables at the grocery store.  (It seems that the grocery stores are one stop offerings in small towns.  There is often a deli section with hot foods, salad bars, the usual groceries, outside tables, bathrooms and gas.) 

From there it was a fantastic ride down the east side of the island.  We were glad of the full tummies because today was a day of cycling up and down many hills, but especially the highest point of the day, a killer hill just outside of our lunch spot before we coasted into Hovland at the 35km mark.  The second half of the island ride was rolling mountainsides with sharp rock cliffs or large forests on one side and dramatic scenes along the water of the Hardangerfjord.  The hills continued to be a workout but the views more than made up for it.  

At the bottom tip of the island the ferry arrived minutes after us and then took us for the ten minute boat ride to the island of Stord.  After two nights of wild camping and lots of rain, we are glad to have the comforts of a cozy motel room with kitchenette AND a million dollar view of the Hardangerfjord.

Wild raspberries at breakfast today
Heart 3 Comment 0
Olve waterfront
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rolling farmland and inland lakes.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Crossing on to Tysne Island
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonBeautiful shot. Imagine living in a place like this!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beside the lake high on Tysnesoy Island
Heart 4 Comment 0
Coming down the long hill into Hovland
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I took a chance on the quiet road to take this video which I hope will give  a sense of our ride down the eastern side of Tysnesoy Island. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
View as we boarded the ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from our motel.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Lyle McLeodMuch much better way of travelling than the next picture in the journal!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

Boats on the Hardangerfjord seen from our patio. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 3,442 km (2,137 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0