Copenhagen visit - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2023 to June 22, 2023

Copenhagen visit

When I was about eight years old my parents often played an LP record with the song "Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen".  I hadn't thought of that song since, but now that I have seen it, I keep humming about this "wonderful" city.  

Copenhagen on a hot, June day was lively with people, tourists and lots of young people, well dressed, lounging, eating and drinking in cafes or busily heading to work or on some errand, strolling the pedestrian boulevards, and riding bicycles; so many people on bicycles.  In this city famous for its cycling infrastructure, we rode our bikes for miles along the beautiful bike paths, through parks, alongside busy streets, on side streets, over bridges with no cars and beside the water.  We had mapped out a dozen or so places to see and circuitously aimed for each, all the while trying to take in and appreciate what we were seeing along the way.  The architecture constantly impresses; old castles, churches, train stations, grand hotels and waterfront apartments. And the new, the opera house, national theatre, office towers, condos, bridges also bear the mark of good design for function and aesthetic.  

Most of the photos include place names so we will let them tell the stories of our visit to Copenhagen.

Rosenborg Slot. The surrounding park was filling up with picnickers enjoying an outdoor supper.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Great advertising concept, but Steve did not want to miss any of our Copenhagen visit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The canals were busy with little cruise boats you can steer, no captain or life jackets necessary, and a comfy table for drinks!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Refshaleoen is an post industrial waterfront area that has been transformed into funky eateries, bars and an urban beach. It was just opening up at 11:30am so we stayed for lunch.
Heart 3 Comment 0
After ordering a drink and food from the jumbled warren of eateries, patrons can sit at tables looking out to the water.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Refshaleoen as seen from the opposite shore
Heart 1 Comment 2
Lyle McLeodWe were here in 2008 with our kids (family reunion in Estonia and then a Stockholm to Copenhagen bike trip (on tandems). We were up early (jet lag) and were walking at the spot where you took this picture from. It was about 7 am and there was still a full-on Rave going on across the water in those warehouses! We can still feel the bass reverberating in our bodies! Never a dull moment in Copenhagen! Great to see you enjoying it too.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyNow that must have been a wonderful trip! On tandems with your kids. What an awesome memory
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Nyhavn- On both sides of the canal are tall painted houses dating to the 1600s and 1700s
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nyhavn or New Harbour in English.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
At the Market Hall, admiring a mouth-watering display of Smørrebrød, which actually means “butter and bread”. As you can see here, it’s a lot more interesting. Anything from cheese, cold-cuts, eggs, fish and seafood, topped off with seasoning and garnishes. It’s similar to Spanish pinchos.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Superkilen Park in ethnically and economically diverse Norrrebro district has installations from all over the world. These swings are from Iraq.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The library at Superkilen Park
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sculptor Edvard Eriksen created the mermaid in 1913 as a tribute to the author Hans Christian Andersen, and it’s inspired by Andersen’s eponymous fairytale.
Heart 1 Comment 0
All the tour busses stop at the Little Mermaid, one of Copenhagen’s most iconic sights.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Royal Yacht Dannebrog was built in 1931–1932 and still used by HM The Queen and other members of the Royal Family.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Frederiks Kirke, also known as the Marble Church is in the centre of Frederiksburg district, a fashionable part of town built around King Frederik's Amalienborg Palace in the 18th Century. Frederik left a beautiful legacy, but he almost bankrupt the kingdom with his building projects.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Soren Kierkegaard is one of the learned men who is honoured with a statue outside the Marble Church
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
This downtown sunbathing spot appeared to be for models only as no rolls, wrinkles or blemishes were on display.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An attractive complex of condos under construction reflected in the windows of the National Theatre
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Opera House
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dinner at the Livingstone, a charming vegetarian restaurant with tables by the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The east train station, from where it took 15 minutes to get to our campsite. Quite handy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,478 km (1,539 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Lyle McLeodThis is one of our favourite cities. We moved to Glasgow in 1989 right after we got married and Kirsten couldn’t work (no permit) and raining continuously. She was going nuts cooped up in a hotel while we tried to find a place to live. At that time there were only two places you could fly to direct from Glasgow outside the UK, Paris and Copenhagen. We bought tickets to CPH and spent a long weekend there. It’s probably why we are still married! What a wonderful place.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyCute story too! Newly weds in Copenhagen, what a treat!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago