Béziers to Sete - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2023

Béziers to Sete

Most days when we head off  we aren’t certain what the route will look like other than from what we can glean from maps, navigation apps, blogs of others cyclists or Steve’s good intuition!  Today for a change, at least for the first 17km, we knew exactly where we were going as we were retracing yesterday’s ride.  We left at 10:30am and arrived shortly before noon in Villeneuve and hungry for lunch again!  But we weren’t looking for a two hour sit down feast but instead a quick bite to fortify us for the afternoon.  It was market day in town and the main square had several of the delicious veg, fruit, fish, cheese and olive trucks.  However Ann after seeing fabulous looking quiches for sale in previous boulangeries, was set on one for lunch.  We found heavenly ones at a back street artisan boulangerie and ate them in the main square while watching the going’s on.  From the fruit and veg truck we purchased delicious crunchy French apples which are called called  Pink Crisps.   

The next section of the bike trail along the Canal de Medi on either side of Adge was some of the best paved trail we’ve seen. 

After coming out the other side of Adge there was a subtle difference in terrain: pine trees, the first palm trees swaying in the wind and sandy soil.  Ann could smell the salt air!

Soon we reached the end of the Canal du Midi cycle route.  A turn left and we were on the superb Lido greenway which runs alongside the Mediterranean and took us all the way to Sète.  We made it back to the Mediterranean Sea and it is as inviting as ever!  We stopped for a snack at Vassal Beach, took some pictures and marvelled at the sight of the golden sand, turquoise water and white capped waves rolling in to shore. 

Sete was alive when we arrived at apéritif hour.  If we hadn’t been so worn out, if we didn’t have another 7-10kms to do, if if … we would have plunked ourselves down and joined the crowds in one of the many crowded restaurants and bars along the sunny side of the canals for a well-deserved refreshment.  However we planned to come into the city tomorrow, so we pressed on.  With our biggest day to date at 70km, it was an early supper and bedtime at our campsite. 

Béziers Canal bridge, completed in 1856, crosses over the Orb River.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving Sete we passed a section with cheesy amusement parks and massive campgrounds. Somehow the pavement seemed hotter there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plage Vassal.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Panoramic of Plage Vassal showing the terrific bike path and access opening to the beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful but no one was swimming. The water must be cold. We didn’t want to leave the bikes unattended so never ventured down to the water to test.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the spit of land that the continuous beach is on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we were coming into Sete we finally saw a few people on the beach and several swimmers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 400 km (248 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0