Bedoin to Vinsobres - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2023

Bedoin to Vinsobres

We were dragging our feet this morning and didn’t leave until 11. 

Most likely for two reasons that were weighing on us subconsciously.  The first is that glorious descent off of the Col de Madeline last night; this morning we will be climbing up it -and with all our luggage!  The second reason is because today we cross over into a different area, the Drôme.  After two weeks of discovering glorious Provence, it’s time to move on.  It has been beyond all expectations.  We wonder how can the unknown of the next days match the experiences we’ve had in this phenomenal area.  The unknown is always more stressful than the known, but as we cycle forward we can be sure that whatever is coming will most likely be exotic, interesting and thrilling, just in different ways than Provence has been.  So onwards we go. 

Today is the last leg of the three day circumnavigation of Ventoux. It’s a short leg over the Col de Madeline and a coast down into Malaucene.  On this Saturday morning there are lots of cyclists climbing up with us and just as many coming down.  Actually we arrived at the col with its moderate inclines without too much exertion and then coasted into Malaucene.  So now we can add both a summit of Ventoux as well as a tour around the belly of the mountain to our checklist.  Both are wonderful cycling experiences that we heartily endorse.  And we fully concur with others who have gone before us, this is fabulous cycling territory. 

Pushing off from Malaucene and not being the navigator today, I am delighted in my first unknown, a nine km gentle coast downhill. Exhilarating!  We cycled past the charming village of Crestet.  It looks stunning perched high on a crest on the edge of the Dentelles de Montmirail mountain range.  But we continued coasting on, down and into Vaison-La-Romaine on the River Ouveze.  On the left bank on top of a rocky spur is the Haute-Ville, originating in the 13th century.  We cycled into the lower section on the right side of the river, through central squares filled with people enjoying the summer weather which has officially arrived!  The sky is blue and the temperature hit 34 degrees.  By now I knew as well did the navigator, that the next part of the ride would promise to be equally as stunning but with the added challenge of some serious climbing.

The afternoon was a rollercoaster of climbs up to cute villages and down through vineyards and forests, then up again. The heat took everything out of us and the last few hills were killer tough, we even had to push our bicycles up the last steep section into Vinsobres.   But now here we are in a peaceful campground on the edge of the village.  A quick trip to the grocery store and we are enjoying the heat in the air this evening with a chilled rose to accompany delicious zucchini cakes from a local traiteur along with lemon butter white fish, rice and salad. It has been yet another terrific day in the saddle. 

A café in Bedoin.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Steve and Ventoux in the morning light.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Slow and steady climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking ahead to where we are going.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Malaucene
Heart 0 Comment 0
A less fashionable street in Malaucene?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Giant wooden sculptures by the artist we first saw in Bergerac. Cestet in the background.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Vaison-La-Romaine Haute-Ville
Heart 4 Comment 0
Vaison-la-Romaine
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooSuch a nice place.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Down and up, our route skirted the forest edge of the hills. Possible rain in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ventoux.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hill country.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One hill too many required a push to the top.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

*Note, if truth be told, we are not quite out of Provence just yet but we have left the Vaucluse and are in the Drôme department. Leaving Provence is eminent. 

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,416 km (879 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0