To Infinity and Beyond! - We'll Follow the Sun - CycleBlaze

January 13, 2019

To Infinity and Beyond!

Ok, just to Cancun, but it felt that way!

We started out our day with perfect riding conditions.  It was not too hot and very little wind as we left our little place in Puerto Morelos.  As we rode out, we could here the chachalacas calling to each other.  Their call pretty much sounds like their name, which I guess is why they are called that!

Goodbye to a nice little spot in Puerto Morelos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Too early for this!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not far now!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went by quickly so I couldn't tell if this was real or fake
Heart 0 Comment 0

As it was Sunday morning, we were hopeful that the traffic on highway 307 would not be too bad and thankfully this proved to be the case.  In addition, the wind kept at bay for pretty much the whole ride up, which meant we were on the outskirts of Cancun by 10:30.  We stopped to have a drink of juice outside a university and couldn't help but notice their very nice steel slat fence - very fancy!  Hmmm.... I think maybe Mexico has beat the Americans to the punch here?  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we came into Cancun, we found a delightful bike path, which we happily hopped onto.

I like bike paths!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

As a matter of fact, it was such a nice path that we rode way to far and missed our turnoff to our host, Kurt's house.  We backtracked and saw that there was another road we could go up and connect to his, so off we went.  But, oh wait, Mexico is not done with us yet!  Here came another dirt road!  

This is Avenue Constitution - for real!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We followed the directions from Google Map, down the dirt road, turning left at another dirt road and we came to a corner with houses on both sides but no street signs or addresses.  We hadn't thought to ask Kurt what his house looked like and thought we must be in the totally wrong area, so we turned down yet another dirt road and basically went in circles for a good hour at least.  By this time we were both hot, tired and very frustrated.  We had no internet as we are leaving for Cuba and didn't want to pay for another month of the phone plan we were using, so we had no way of contacting Kurt - boy oh boy, not a smart thing to do in hindsight!  We decided the best course of action would be to ride back to the main road, find a restaurant where we could eat a second breakfast and use their wifi to contact Kurt.  

Happily, we found the perfect spot and I enjoyed another round of Huevos Mexicano while Jim had tacos.  Hunger abated, we contacted Kurt who very kindly gave us some very specific directions and said he would come out to meet us.  Breakfast done, we rode away and up the road we were told to ride.  Hmmm... didn't we come this way before?  Down the road a bit, we saw Kurt and his dog, Bud, a delightful Springer Spaniel.  We hopped off the bikes and introduced ourselves.  Kurt is a friend of our daughter's and had very kindly offered to help us find some things to take with us to Cuba as well as a place to stay.  We happily walked along with Kurt, amazed that yes, indeed, we had ridden through this very neighborhood to the spot where we first turned.  Oh no!!!!  We had been at the right place and just didn't know it!!!!  If only we had thought to knock at their gate - duh!!!!  Oh well, we went in and enjoyed a lovely visit with Kurt and eventually with his wife, Stacie and their daughter Celeste.  We spent a wonderful evening with them before retiring to the lovely little casita they had just finished out back.  It was just the sweetest little place and we were over the moon to get to stay there!  We wished that we had longer to stay with them, but know that we will see them when we return to Cancun at the end of February for a week of beach time at the end our our journey.  

Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,013 km (629 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonCongrats so far, and thanks for taking us along! I can’t wait to see Cuba. We’ve thought for years of going there ourselves, but of course it’s a different story for us backwards folks here down south. Could you adopt us?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Scott AndersonScott, you guys would love it here and there are Americans here so I'm pretty sure you can get here on some pretext or another.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago