Poking around on the Puuc part 1 - We'll Follow the Sun - CycleBlaze

December 6, 2018

Poking around on the Puuc part 1

Or, our lives are now ruined!

Before getting into today, I need to talk about last night. As Jim and I sat poolside, trying to get enough wifi to post the blog, a new guest came by to introduce himself. We had heard about Bernhard and his partner Iris from the owner of the Pickled Onion, Valerie. It turns out they, too, are from Vancouver! What a small small word! We enjoyed chatting so much that we ended up having dinner together. It was lovely to talk with people from our end if the world and discuss time ins and outs of Vancouver and BC politics. 

A lovely couple from home!
Heart 1 Comment 0
My dinner came with this little guy!
Heart 1 Comment 0
What beautiful presentation!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Knowing our ride to our very first ruin was a short 8km, we slept in a bit and then joined Iris and Bernhard for a wonderful breakfast of omelettes, fresh fruit and toast. Today they were off to see Uxmal, our destination for tomorrow, and we were headed for Kabah, a smaller ruin in the opposite direction down what is called the Ruta Puuc. There are quite a few Mayan ruins and artifacts to be found along this very hilly route - the only hilly section of the Yucatan. Our original plan had been to see Uxmal on one day, ride to a few other sites on the next and hit Kabah on our way down towards Campeche. However, due to our recent health issues, we have decided to play it safe by taking the collectivo down to Campache, which is about 150 km from here.  There is only one town with hotels about halfway there, so we would be riding close to 80km each day.  In other circumstances, this would be no problem, but right now its an issue.  I have to say that we have both struggled with the notion of "cheating" by taking the bus.  It isn't really, but it just feels that way.  All the planning and training that went into this trip have gone by the wayside at the moment, due to illness.  However, we are hopeful that with the days off the bikes down in Campeche, we will feel renewed and more able to tackle the ride back up.  

So, today.  It was actually a little cool this morning, which felt amazing!  After breakfast we packed light snack to take with us, used the Steripen to sterilize our water for the day and off we went.  As advertised, the Ruta Puuc is a series of hills, none of them terribly big, just nice rollers.  It was a great change, getting to do a little climb and then coast down.  We enjoyed seeing the many flowers blooming along the roadside.  Hopefully tomorrow we will stop and take a few pics of these! When we got to Kabah, we were literally the only ones there!  We paid the fee to get in (55 pesos each - about $3.50) and began wandering.  Oh my goodness!!!!  I can't even describe how excited we both were to be here!  We have been planning this trip since last winter and I have been dreaming of visiting Mayan ruins for many years.  My students, as part of their Social Studies curriculum, learned about different ancient civilizations and so the Mayans were familiar to me, but I had never made it to see any ruins.  So, now is my chance and ruined we shall be!!!  Here are a few pics from today.  I will try not to overload the blog with the same pics, but you'll have to forgive me my exuberance just a little!

This is a fair representation of Kabah. Smaller than other sites but pretty much empty, which made for very pleasant strolling!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Michael ReynoldsThose are some steel stairs!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceHaha! Compared to what we've seen since, these are baby steps!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 1
Tiffany EllisonSue looks so happy!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Jim is becoming obsessed with these guys!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLots of cycle tourists post shots of black spiny tailed iguanas down there! And with good reason. They are really interesting looking. Maybe some day I can see them too. Thanks for the neat picture!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctenosaura_similis
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Bill ShaneyfeltIt's pretty fun to see them here. They look like the own the place! You should definitely come!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 16 km (10 miles)
Total: 110 km (68 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Michael ReynoldsI finally got signed up with cycleblaze so I can comment. So glad you guys are enjoying yourselves. Your working thru how to slow down is an example for the rest of us work-work-work slaves, for sure. I'm sure you'll get your sea legs and get back to more biking. Probably going to come home 20 pounds lighter, too.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceSlowed down we are for sure! Not too sure about coming back lighter though - the food is very yummy and very cheap!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago