Making our way to Campeche - We'll Follow the Sun - CycleBlaze

December 8, 2018

Making our way to Campeche

No cycling this day. Sticking to our plan of keeping our health at the forefront, we asked Valerie about the bus to Campeche. She was able to tell us that they come about every hour (this being Mexico, about is as close as you are going to get), and the price should be about 200 pesos each, which works out to $12.00 each. Works for us! We first enjoyed our final breakfast at the Picked Onion and got some pictures of Valerie and her sweet little dog, Zack. If you are ever down this way, and we highly recommend you do, stay here! It's just the best! 

Ok, so now I will judge my breakfasts here in Mexico, not by the jams but by the fruit! This one is 8! That's the top of the scale, I think!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesYummy. Omelette, fruit and a pickle on the side.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Steve Miller/GrampiesAnd a little ham and cheese roll up that I saved and ate on the bus!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Valerie Pickle, by way of England, then Canada and now Mexico!
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a sweetie that Zack is!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Tiffany EllisonIs he a corgie?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
STAY HERE!!!!!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesOK, we will next time around.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceYou have to! We told Valerie about you two so she's expecting you!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

As you can simply flag the bus down from anywhere along the route, we took up a position across the street about 20 minutes before we expected a bus to come by. While waiting, we were able to take pictures of some of the beautiful plants. Some of these pics are from the property - just wanted to give Bill some more plants to identify! 

Any bus schedules here?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe a variety of sapote?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouteria_sapota
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Bill ShaneyfeltYes! A Mamay Sapota! Thanks, Bill! You're 2 for 2 today!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltOuch! Bougainvillea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainvillea
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Bill ShaneyfeltI think you are right again! Although I didn't get close enough to see if there were any spikes. Lucky me I guess!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Sue PriceYes, I found out about 60 some years ago when we moved to CA, and I grabbed a lovely looking branch... I think they must have some sort of irritant because the scratches inflamed right away.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Bill ShaneyfeltOh no! I'm glad I didn't try to touch them!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Taking pics while we wait
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be in the mallow family, but I could not find an image match in all my searching.

https://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/Plant_Families/Malvaceae.htm
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like it, but hard to tell. I will try to get more leaf and whole plant detail in future pics. It's fun to look and I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, Bill!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Eventually the bus did arrive - after about 2 hours! Oh well, it's all mañana! The 3 hour bus ride took us along the route we had planned to ride. Nice countryside and if it weren't for the fact that we would have been putting in two very long days we would have enjoyed it. However, given everything else (heat plus our health) it was definitely thd right choice for us. We will be in Campeche for 4 days now, after which we will rent a car to drive down to Palenque for 2, then back for one more night in Campeche before getting on the bikes once again to make our way up to our next destination of Celestun. Hey, you might be thinking (or saying out loud) isn't this supposed to be a bike tour? Well, if you recall, at the beginning I forewarned you! We are NOT the fastest tourers out there, and this tour is about us taking our own sweet time to meander around the Yucatan, seeing the Mayan ruins we have been long been wanting to see, soaking up the wonderful culture here in Mexico, and yes, riding our bikes. 

Once we finally arrived in Campeche, we reloaded the bikes and rode the short distance to our hotel, the Ah Kim Pech, located in the historical district. We rode right past it as there were no signs out front, so had to hop off and walk back as most streets here in this section of town are one way. Hotel found, we checked in and were shown our room, a very small affair but with the requisite ac and fan, it will work for us! The bikes have their own safe space at the back of the main floor and we are happy with the arrangement. The owner has agreed to let them stay there while we are in Palenque. We unpacked and had our first accident of this trip. The closet is weirdly located up two small steps. I put my things away and started back into the bedroom but missed the first step, falling hard against the rough corner, scraping my arm up pretty good. How ridiculous! I make it up and down all those crazy steep steps at Uxmal, but can't negotiate two little ones in our hotel room! Insert face palm here, lol!

Ouch!
Heart 0 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesOuch indeed. Looks really sore.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt sure was at the time, but thankfully it was short lived pain.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We had a bit of a rest, then headed out to check out the town and grab dinner. Oh, my goodness! Yet another amazing amazing place! Campeche is a World Heritage site and we can see why! The beautifully coloured buildings, the lovely square, the crazy beautiful church in the main square, all creates a breathtaking scene. We spotted a restaurant up on a terrace and after a little saunter, made our way there for our first dinner in town. Across the way in the square, people were setting up a stage for what looked like a Christmas pageant. 

We enjoyed a fabulous meal and it turns out that the spot where we ate is where photographers come from all over to get their perfect shot of the Santa Iglesia cathedral. 

A great place to eat and watch life here in Campeche!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The perfect shot!
Heart 5 Comment 0

After dinner we walked over to the square to watch the pageant in progress. It was very sweet, but an odd thing happened for which we have been able to find no explanation. As Mary and Joseph were making their way on the little stage in the park, all of a sudden we heard the drums of a marching band in the distance. As the play continued, the marchers (some sort of youth military from the looks of their uniforms) marched around the square, creating a competing scene around the outside of the square. It was just so odd! At the end of their march, they set off fireworks,  and all the while, the little nativity play kept going. To add to the weirdness, the play had an added element of the devil and a bunch of devil helpers showing up. From what I could gather, it looked like a modern version and the devil was making people think more about presents, wine and fun and forgetting the real reason for the season. All good,  but I have to say, the devil and his little group kind of stole the show! 

No comments on either the size of baby Jesus or the age of Mary!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The three wise men are getting on in age!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guy was WAY too good!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once this show was over, we strolled the grounds for a bit, enjoying the atmosphere here before settling in to watch the amazing light show that was projected onto the entire side of the library building which I believe is now a museum. Wow! It was incredible!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Afterwards, we followed the crowds over to a Christmas light display, enjoying watching the many little children with their families. It was a fantastic evening and we look forward to the days ahead here. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0