Discretion is the better part of valour - We'll Follow the Sun - CycleBlaze

December 5, 2018

Discretion is the better part of valour

We woke up early (but not as early as yesterday) and enjoyed a couple of peanut butter and banana wraps before packing up and heading out of beautiful Hacienda Yuncu - really, if you can, you should go there!

Heart 3 Comment 0

We were both feeling better, but wanted to be cautious about our approach to today after yesterday's fiasco.  Jim tells me that when he worked at a mill, earlier in his life, he had to work in a room that was very very hot, but at least then he could take a break.  He said yesterday was worse for him than any day in that room!  He had felt pretty dizzy whenever we stopped, which was a bit alarming to hear about the day after!  So, we determined to take it slow heading down to Ticul and see what the options were for us from there.

Riding with our DaBrims on today - in need of some major shade!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Taking is slow and stopping for a few little breaks along the way, we eventually made the 22 km to Ticul and found our way into the city centre and the Cafe "El Jardin" Restaurant.  The lovely young lady who waited on us had no problem with us bringing the bikes right into the restaurant and she even spoke English - what a bonus for us!!!  We enjoyed a plate of fruit and some toast. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Fresh fruit is sooooo amazing when you are hot and tired!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our very very helpful waitress - muchos muchos gracias!
Heart 1 Comment 0

While there, we asked her if there was a collectivo that could take us to Santa Elena.  The decision had been made on the ride down, given how weak we both were still feeling and the knowledge that a big hill awaited us just past Ticul.  With the help of this guardian angel, a taxi driver showed up who would direct us to where the bus was ready to leave.  

After a very quick ride through town, we made it to the station where it appeared they had held the bus for us!  The little busses that go from town to town are like big vans and hold probably 12 people.  We were able to put one bike in the storage under the bus, along with the panniers, but the other bike would not go.  No problem!  There was one bench seat open and they just put the bike there!  

One row for my bike
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can just make out Jim on the left, holding on for dear life!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The drive up and over the hill was quick and we were very happy with our decision.  Watching out the window, we both acknowledged that there was no way on this day that we would have been able to get up and over.  

It doesn't look that bad - they never do in pictures, but it was long and very hot and we never would have made it today
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once in Santa Elena, the driver dropped off the other passengers and delivered us directly to our hotel for the next three nights, The Pickled Onion.  We have read many bike blogs of people cycling through this area and had seen numerous pictures of this place.  It was one of our "must dos" on this trip and we were more than happy to arrive, no matter how we got there!

Our little room for the next three nights
Heart 2 Comment 1
Tiffany EllisonI like the name pickled onion. Reminds me of the pickle lol
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Pretty sweet!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Oh, and did I mention the pool with the hammock?
Heart 3 Comment 2
Chris PountneyHow did you get in that without getting wet?!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Chris PountneyHaha! It's in the very shallow end!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Even when it started to rain, we were just fine - for a little while that is!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Tiffany EllisonSounds like u could've used some rain!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 94 km (58 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Michael ReynoldsLove these pics and your story!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago