Cycling in the sauna - We'll Follow the Sun - CycleBlaze

November 6, 2018

Cycling in the sauna

So, part of the reason for coming to spend time in Austin (other than seeing family and having fun) was to get used to the climate we will be seeing in the Yucatan next month.  The first few days here have been very un-Austin like in that there was little humidity.  Well, that changed today!

We awoke to a foggy morning but the forcast was for the fog to lift and the sun to shine again.  We headed out around 10 into the fog.  It was refreshingly cool to begin and perfect cycling weather. The fog wasn't too low so we weren't concerned with visibility.  The goal today was to add some more kilometres and hills to our day, so with that in mind, we headed over to a favourite ride from last year, the South Walnut Creek trail.  We rode part of the same route as yesterday before heading up onto the nicely paved trail.  It climbs, but it is a steady climb so not very challenging.  The fog remained and the day heated up, so by the time we reached the top, we were both drenched - not sure if it was sweat or the air!

Some of the plants along the way made us feel like were were already in the jungle!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A really pleasant trail!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltThat jungle is highly invasive giant reed, native to the Medeterranean, I believe.

https://www.fs.fed.us/r3/resources/health/invasives/grasses/giantReed.shtml
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Bill ShaneyfeltOh no! It looks so cool, but invasive species are not good!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

At the top of the trail we stopped to enjoy some energy bars before heading back down.  At the spot where we stopped was a trailhead marker made from stone that you see all over down here.  It's really pretty and one of the things I am so happy to see again.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rather than head back the way we had come, I tried giving Garmin the opportunity to plan a route for us.  We wanted to stop by Trader Joe's, so I picked that as our destination and off we went to see where it led us.  Well, good and bad.  Good, in that we were on bike lanes for almost all of the ride there, bad in that rather than just going downhill as we were expecting, we went up and down - Austin is a VERY hilly place! Our total elevation today was 325 meters (about 1000 ft).  Haha!  Oh well, it was a good workout that we both really enjoyed.  After our stop at TJ's we headed back over the bridge and home.  All in all, a satisfying day for us.  The next few days are forcast for rain and thunder showers so we shall see whether we get out for any rides or not!  

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0