Uxmal - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 24, 2021 to November 25, 2021

Uxmal

November 24th, 2021

Today was one of those days when plans were forced to change.  The plan was a short ride of thirty five kilometers along a country road to the Mayan archeological zone at Uxmal.  This meant we didn't have to rush to get away early so we were only on the road after seven thirty.  Two or three kilometers down the road a pickup truck stopped and the driver told us that the road was closed up ahead because it was being totally rebuilt.  We felt pretty deflated because the only way to get to Uxmal now was a ride of more than seventy kilometers and we would have to brave the 180 once again.  But there was little else we could do.  So we turned around and headed back to the 180 and struggled into the headwind for about twenty five kilometers before heading eastwards towards Muna.  By this time the wind had changed to blow from the east so it was still a struggle into the wind.  We felt we wouldn't be able to make it to Uxmal today but a lunch stop in the village of Opichén revived us.  The last ten kays were hard work but after checking in at the ridiculously expensive Uxmal Maya Resort, we dragged our bicycles up to our room on the second floor and headed down to the swimming pool

Crossing the border between the states of Campeche and Yucatan on the 180.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our hotel might be expensive and in need of maintenance but the restaurant gave us a great supper of Cochinita Pibil, one of the two classic Yucatan dishes, at a good price so it is not all bad.

November 25th, 2021

We were the first people through the gates of the Uxmal archeological zone at eight this morning and had it mostly to ourselves for our first circuit.  The direction of travel in the archeological zones in Mexico is strictly controlled and I suspect they think you should only do one circuit.  But we always hop over the barrier and do a second.  By the time we did the second, it had filled up with busloads of visitors.  

In a nutshell, it was fantastic.  The Puuc style of building was very different to Tikal and Pelenque, the other two Mayan sites we have visited so far.  I will let the pictures tell the story.

The Pyramid of the Magician.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 4 Comment 0
View of the Pyramid of the Magician from the Governer's Palace.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Governer's Palace.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I am always impressed by these vaulted roofs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 2 Comment 0
The House of the Birds. This reminds of when we were looking for the bird hide at Bonamanzi in Kwa-Zulu when I asked a local teenager for help saying "iphi ikaya ye intaka", meaning "where is the house of the birds" and she replied in good English "the house of the bird is in the tree".
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Nunnery Quadrangle. Probably the highlight with some wonderful work stucco and carvings.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Double-headed Snake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bound prisoner.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The snake imagery is all over the Nunnery Quadrangle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking into the Nunnery Quadrangle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The large ball court.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ball court's hoop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Grand Pyramid didn't really match up to its name.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Detail from the House of the Turtles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A part of the archeological zone that has yet to be restored and is not open to visitors - the Dove Complex.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Most of the archeological sites we have been to around the world are also good for birding and we had some nice sightings today at Uxmal.  Much of it was in the dappled light of the under-story so photography was difficult but we managed to pick up a few new species..

Orange Oriole (Icterus auratus)
Heart 1 Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesI would be shocked if you don't know about the Cornell bird lab, and their ebird app. But if it's new to you, wow, will you ever love it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHi Steve, I have it installed on my phone amongst a number of other birding apps. It is almost impossible for a single birding app to cover all bases so I spread my bets :-).
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jean-Marc StrydomAh yes, because I have no prior experience this one, the only one I know of, seems really super. Having an app like this for birding is like having GPS for touring. The first one you ever try is like wow!

p.s. I noticed only one bird in your week in the Karoo (but not exactly a surfeit of trees either!).
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Steve Miller/GrampiesGeneral apps like Cornell's are perfect as a catch-all but I tend to use specific apps for specific requirements. In many cases these aren't apps at all but rather the Kindle versions of the paper field guides. For example, we have just returned from a cruise to the subantarctic islands of Marion and Prince Edward where I lent heavily on the Kindle version of Steve Howell's "Oceanic Birds of the World". In Mexico I used an app called "Bird Data Mexico" which was essentially a field guide in electronic form as well although it also had recordings of most of the calls/songs.

The Karoo, like most drier areas, can be quite devoid of bird life at times but can suddenly erupt with enormous numbers of birds if there has been good rainfall. I guess the wind and the heat also blunted my enthusiasm for photography at the time. Still, it remains a favourite place on Earth for me.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Golden-olive Woodpecker (Colaptes rubiginosus)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rose-throated Becard (Pachyramphus aglaiae)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Masked Tityra (Tityra semifasciata)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Turquoise-browed Motmot (Eumomota superciliosa)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Yellow-bellied sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Turkey Vultures (Cathartes aura) instead of the usual Black Vultures.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ruddy Ground Doves (Columbina talpacoti) have replaced the Inca Doves from earlier on in our trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were also lots of iguanas climbing over the ruins, including a few spiky males.

Male Green Iguana (Iguana iguana).
Heart 2 Comment 0

We will most likely head to Xuux Eek, a little eco-lodge between here and Merida, tomorrow where we should get some more birding done.

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 2,621 km (1,628 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rich FrasierStunning pictures. Thank you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltGreat photos! Wish I could remember all the names!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Leslie and Rob CookeIt's been over 10 years since we've been to Uxmal but I remember it being very peaceful. I'm looking forward to your report on your next stop at the eco-lodge as I was just looking at planning an overnight bike trip there. Happy travels and great photos.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Bill ShaneyfeltIf you are referring to the formal (scientific) names, I look those up !
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Jean-Marc StrydomEither common or scientific names. The ol' internal "computer" has either lost some connections or overfilled memory... :-( I remember the days when I could remember a name of a critter or plant the first time I heard & saw it. Visual learner back then... almost photographic, but now... not so much. I guess my complaining is kinda stupid when I see other folks my age and younger barely able to care for themselves physically or mentally.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonWonderful additions to your collection. Great pictures.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago