Tenosique de Pino Suárez, - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

October 16, 2021 to October 17, 2021

Tenosique de Pino Suárez,

October 16th, 2021

The rain forecast for late yesterday did not materialize but we woke up to thunder and lightning this morning.  By seven thirty the storm had moved on and we were on our way before eight.

The first fourteen kays was easy riding in a misty drizzle along the R307.  Then we turned left to the village of Río Chancalá.  Here we had a stiff climb over the range of hills separating us from yesterday's aborted route.  From the top of the climb it was pretty easy riding all the way to Tenosique de Pino Suárez, our destination for the night.

Breakfast at a panaderia.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The only mishap was a sudden and as yet unexplained puncture that I picked up on my rear wheel as we approached a police checkpoint in the village of Reforma Agraria.  One of the two officers on duty (the one carrying an automatic assault rifle!) lent Leigh his chair so she could sit comfortably while I swopped the tube.

EDIT: The flat was caused by the tube splitting.  The tube at least three years old - it's a non-Schwalbe tube so it is easy to identify.  I bought and fitted some of them before our first Patagonian trip so I am reasonably sure of its age.  This was the last one - the others have all been junked.  This leaves us with just one spare tube which might make things interesting.  I'm not sure how easy will be to replace a 26" Presta valve tube in Guatemala or Belize, or in the rural areas of Mexico for that matter.  Holding thumbs.

We have enjoyed cycling on quieter roads again. Only the last twenty kilometers of the ride had heavier traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Reforma Agraria must have had even more rain than we experienced at the falls. Much of the farmland around the village was under water.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are in the Hotel Central for the night.  We could see masses of linen billowing in the breeze on the hotel roof.  Always a promising sign.   Simple but clean and the bicycles are sleeping safely in the hotel laundry.

October 17th, 2021

If you had yesterday's journal entry yesterday and have been paying attention you will notice than we are still in Tenosique.

While on the 'phone with my son this morning I mentioned to him that I was feeling tired.  Leigh and I looked at each other and without having to exchange any words we made the decision to have a rest day.

So we have spent it at the simple Hotel Central.  We managed to get some work done, enjoyed a great late lunch of grilled chicken at an eatery around the corner and spent the rest of the afternoon doing very little.

The church just up the street from us looks good from a distance, but don't look too closely. Unfortunately, the doors have been closed each time we have gone past.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,456 km (904 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0