Tenabo - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 22, 2021

Tenabo

Today's ride was about as boring as it could get and about as exciting as a major road could be.  We were expecting that to be the case but that didn't make it any less tiresome.  We also had to contend with a fresh headwind the whole way which just added to the level of irritation.  Thankfully there was a great shoulder and not too much traffic

One of the few things along the way that caught our eye. There were two of these blockhouses a few kilometers apart. Not sure how authentic they are.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy faces taking a break from the headwind.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The 180. Straight, flat and featureless.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a relief to turn off into the unpretentious town of Tenabo.   The road signs suggested a church worth looking at but it looked as downtrodden as the town itself.

Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThis is just the shot that Google Maps gives for Tenabo, except zoomed in, which misses the interesting bikes.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI can't believe how many of these bicycle taxis are on the streets in the little towns through which we pass. Some of the passengers look as if they would benefit from getting out and walking a bit.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Our digs for the night is the humble Hotel San Sebastian just north of the town.  Strangely enough it is constructed in the style of a large rondavel with a thatched roof and a few asymetrically shaped rooms leading from a circle in the center of the building.  The building itself is decorated with African art and furniture.  Not what we were expecting.

Tomorrow we have to tackle the 180 again.  Another short ride to Calkini - with the headwinds it is better to keep the days short.

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,498 km (1,551 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0