Seybaplaya - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

Seybaplaya

Our first impressions of Champotón when we arrived yesterday was that the seafront was unappealing.  Little did we know!  When we went to bed last night we had every intention of riding to Campeche today.  But as usual, we changed our minds.  And just as well too.  

What we decided to do when we woke up at a quarter to five (that's the standard time for the alarm to go off at the moment) was to break the ride in two.  This meant we could have a slightly later start and not have to rush to beat the predicted stronger headwinds in the afternoon (we're riding northwards into the prevailing winds that come off the Gulf of Mexico).

We had hardly ridden half a kilometer when I decided to stop to photograph some of the Brown Pelican's that were hanging around the fishing boats.  "Frigate Bird" shouts Leigh, and from then on the ride was a stop-start affair.  It took us an hour to cover the three kilometers to the bridge over the river that is on the north edge of the town and we had a number of long stops thereafter.

Fishing boats on the bay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Magnificent Frigatebird (Fregata magnificens)
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltFully inflated!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Magnificent Frigatebird (Fregata magnificens) in flight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Royal Tern (Thalasseus maxima)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sandwich Tern (Thalasseus sandvicensis)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Willet (Tringa semipalmata).
Heart 1 Comment 0
A circle of Double-crested Cormorants (Nannopterum auritum) with a Neotropic cormorant (Nannopterum brasilianum) photo bombing in the bottom right hand corner.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonAmazing photograph. As they all are, really.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomThanks Scott. We had a great time with the birds.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Birds everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Seybaplaya is a simple but authentic fishing village.  Our digs for the night is the simple Hotel las Brisas a few blocks back from the waterfront.  Maybe we will make it to Campeche tomorrow.

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 2,400 km (1,490 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rich FrasierGorgeous pictures!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago