Miguel Colorado - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 16, 2021

Miguel Colorado

We were feeling a bit better this morning, as much I guess from sleeping a bit later than anything else.  It will still take a few days for our colds to clear up but we are definitely on the mend.

We got going just after ten o'clock heading for the little village of Miguel Colorado.  Although it is only thirty kilometers away and includes a ten kilometer detour (twenty if one considers that we need to backtrack tomorrow), we knew we wouldn't be up to eighty five kilometers to
Champotón while not recovered from our colds.

There was a cycle path for about two kilometers as we left Escárcega. The surface was quite rough and it didn't go very far but at least we avoided the bits of blown truck tyres that litter the main roads.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonNice to see some investment in bike infrastructure. Two whole k’s.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Scott AndersonI am not sure that it had anywhere to go so I guess two kays seems to be far enough.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After the brief section on the cycle path we moved back onto the main road which wasn't particularly busy and had an excellent shoulder.  Roads like this can be quite boring but we lucky enough to come upon one of the few live snakes we have seen so far.  I have no idea what it could be.

Pencil thin and about forty centimeters long.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like possibly some species of parrot snake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptophis
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We rode very slowly.  I have memories of two talented runners from Durban (Richard and Raymond Bantom) succumbing to heart failure while running cross-country while nursing upper respiratory tract infections.  My son regularly lectures me if he hears we have been cycling while carrying a cold.  

A rest at a bus stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got to Miguel Colorado at one o'clock and headed for Posada los Reyecitos, that has a few rooms.  It is almost a home-stay in that meals are taken with the family (we enjoyed a simple but filling lunch of minced pork with vegetables and corn tortillas) and they have something lined up for us for supper as well.  We are feeling quite tired so we are unlikely to do much this afternoon. 

At about six o'clock this evening I went to ask Lucy, the older of the two women at the Posada what time supper would be and whether there was anywhere close by I could buy a beer.  She put her supper making to one side and marched me off down the dark street to a house a block or so away where beers are sold, probably  illicitly, and the delightful old couple there supplied me with a couple of cans of Tekate Light.

We have more than a month to get to Cancun, which lies barely six hundred kilometers away, so we don't have to rush to get there.  Hopefully we will find some interesting things along the way to slow our journey down.

There is a cenote (a water filled cave created by limestone collapsing) near by that is managed by the community which we might take a look at tomorrow.  Estelle, the younger lady at Posada los Reyecitos warned us that we should be on the lookout for being over charged at the cenote so maybe we will give it a miss.

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 2,287 km (1,420 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0