La Libertad - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

October 20, 2021

La Libertad

Today's ride was very similar to yesterday's.  Roller coaster hills under a grey sky.  It was quite a bit more humid and we had a small downpour at one stage as well as a few spits in between.

Some steep hills thrown into today's mix.
Heart 1 Comment 0

About eighteen kilometers into the ride we found a very nice looking hotel on the outskirts of a small town.  Used in combination with the hospedaje at the intersection eighteen kilometers from El Ceibo it would have been a better bet that staying at the border two nights ago.

Hotel Dieguito, about eighteen kilometers from last noght's digs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

About six kilometers from La Libertad we spied our first other cycle tourist of this trip.  I stopped and called out to him as he approached us but he just waved and sped on towards El Ceibo. 

Once in La Libertad we stopped at the first decent restaurant we saw and enjoyed a very nice meal.  The hotel we had identified for the night, Hotel Monja Blanca, was less than two hundred meters further so our full bellies and the cold beer used to clear our throats were no impediment.

The young guy who checked us in at the hotel rides a fancy Scott road bike, very different to all the simple bicycles we have seen so far.  He was certainly built like a serious cyclist and, when questioned, he confirmed he was.

La Libertad is the first town since the border with an ATM that accepts foreign bank cards so I went off looking for one.  My big mistake was to not take my cellphone with me so while I found an 5B ATM without too much difficulty, finding my way back to the hotel was a bit more difficult.  Thank goodness my Spanish has got to the point where asking and receiving direction almost works.

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,659 km (1,030 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0