Isla de Flores - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 6, 2021 to November 8, 2021

Isla de Flores

November 6th, 2021

We spent our our last morning at Hotelito Perdido enjoying the jetty.  The other guests are a bit younger than us so earlier in the morning the jetty is ours alone.  A nice cup of coffee and the company of the birds makes a pleasant start to the day.

Northern Jacana (Jacana spinosa) doing its lily trotter trick.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNice! They have the weirdest feet!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Great Egret (Ardea alba) flying past the jetty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A juvenile Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea) settled on the jetty for a while. For their first year the birds are white and transition to their blue-grey and purple-brown adult plumage in their second year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leigh enjoyed the hammocks on our little verandah.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Water lilies next to the jetty.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Green tea for Leigh but I must have my coffee in the morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The colectivo arrived  at ten to ferry us back to Rio Dulce.  There was only one other passenger on board traveling upriver from Livingstone so there was lots of space for the bicycles.  We were on a bus to Flores within an hour of docking in Rio Dulce. 

On the bus to Flores. Excuse the maskless lurker in the background.
Heart 2 Comment 0

On our arrival in Rio Dulce we tried to find out about getting a bus to retrace our steps to Tenosique in Mexico but the fellow oat the tourist desk at the bus terminus was only interested in ripping us off.  So we decided to go and look for a hotel for the night to gather our wits.

We ended up at the Hotel Villa del Lago where the really nice old fellow at reception pointed us to a tourist desk about a hundred meters away.  Here we booked a minibus (two busses actually because we have to change at the border) to Tenosique at a far better rate but only for Tuesday.  So we are spending the next couple of days chilling on at Villa del Largo on Isla de Flores.

November 7th & 8th, 2021

The past two days have mostly been spent working.  However, this morning we took ourselves off to a local bike shop because Leigh's bike's front hub was a bit gritty.  It turns out there wasn't a scrap of grease in the bearing races.  The bike mech cleaned everything up, replaced the bearings and packed them full of grease but there is already some pitting on the races so a new hub is on the cards when we get back to South Africa.  My front hub was fine, still full of grease.  Both hubs are Shimano Deore HB-T610 are were fitted when the bicycles were bought, about thirty eight thousand kilometers ago.  I guess I should have serviced them some time ago.  I also bought some new gloves because mine are disintegrating so the bike shop made good use of us (and vice versa).

Heart 0 Comment 0

We have also made use of the verandah in the common area that has good views over the lake.  In particular it has been a great place to have an evening beer because we have had the verandah and the view to ourselves.

When we arrived here two days ago we had a lovely pink sky after a rain storm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This evening we had a lovely rainbow before the rainstorm.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow we catch a couple of minibuses back to Tenosique in Mexico and should be cycling again the day after that.

Today's ride: 3 km (2 miles)
Total: 2,063 km (1,281 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0