Hotelito Perdido - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 4, 2021 to November 5, 2021

Hotelito Perdido

November 4th, 2021

We headed off down to the castle on our bicycles this morning.  It is a set in large grounds managed by the Guatemalan tourist authority and has been heavily restored.  It is a rabbit warren of narrow doorways and passages and I would have loved to run around in it as a child but I doubt if it is very authentic anymore.

Canons in front of the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The courtyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View across the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Inscription on canon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The battery aimed at the narrowest point between the river and the lake.
Heart 1 Comment 0

On leaving the castle we were approached by a boatman with whom we negotiated a ride to Hotelito Perdido near Livingstone near the mouth of the river.  It wasn't cheap but he threw in a few diversions to a lily pond, a cormorant roost and a mangrove swamp.  We felt that we might as well spend our last few days in Guatemala being tourists and contribute more to the local economy than id the case while being cycle tourists.

Bikes loaded, ready to sail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View of the castle from the boat.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing under the noisy bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Filling up with fuel. This is the first time I have stopped at a Shell service station on a boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Hotelito Perdido is a hostel cum resort on a small inlet into Rio Dulce a few kilometers upstream from Livingstone.  Its a real chill-out place and we are enjoying a couple of days off.  We plan to spend two nights here before heading back to Rio Dulce from where we hope to catch a bus or two to get us back to where we left off in Mexico.

November 5th, 2021

View from the little dock at Hotelito Perdido.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We've had a very relaxed day.  Morning coffee on the jetty, a paddle up-river in a canoe and relaxing while the rain chucks down.  The camp has emptied a bit today with only two young Israeli "volunteers" here apart from the owners and the three permanent staff.  Apparently some more guests are arriving later today but the storm currently on the go suggests they might have a wet ride to get here.

This fowl wasn't the only animal sheltering from the rain in the common area. An enormous frog also joined us but it has crept under a piece of furniture somewhere so I am unable to photograph it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 3 km (2 miles)
Total: 2,060 km (1,279 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0