Escárcega - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 15, 2021

Escárcega

Neither of us were feeling well this morning and it would have been very easy to steal another day to recover.  We had both slept badly and much of the night past with noses being blown interspersed with bouts of coughing.  But come six thirty we were on the bicycles heading very slowly northwards.

Since we left Tenosique we have had the best cycling roads so far on this trip.  Today was no different but we were more interested in getting to Escárcega than enjoying the ride.  The weather mostly played ball as well - cloudy and cool with a headwind, light earlier on but picking up as the day went on.

Much today's road had verges in need of a shave.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was quite a bit of bird activity today but we weren't really up to it.  The grey skies made photography difficult but we did pick up a new bird in Grey Hawk (Buteo plagiatus).

Grey Hawk (Buteo plagiatus)
Heart 1 Comment 0

We passed through a number of villages, each of which caused the road, for no apparent reason, to take a dog's leg.  One of them was called Luna.  Are it's citizens called Lunatics ?  After about forty three kilometers we got to the next village, Haro, where we found a comedor to enjoy an early lunch.

Our lunch stop in Haro.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that it was a bit of a slog into the wind until we got to Escárcega.  Tonight's digs is the Global Express on the main road heading north out of town.  After settling in I had to take a five kilometer round trip into the town to draw some money and to buy my beloved some tea. 

Supper was enjoyed at a popular taqueria across the road from the hotel and it is hopefully an early night for us.   Not sure what our plans are for tomorrow but we will come up with something in the morning.

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 2,257 km (1,402 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0