El Triunfo - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

El Triunfo

It was great to be back on the bicycles again and what made it even better was that we we cycled quiet country roads the whole day.

The best part of the cycling day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rio Usumacinta along which we cycled for a few kilometers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of fields with grazing cattle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From Mactun northwards a brand new road was being constructed alongside the existing one. It was being built on what used to be the railway line. Mexico's rail network is even more forgotten about than South Africa's.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had some great birding along the way and we stopped often to check things out.  We stopped at a little rural comedor just outside El Triunfo for lunch and even there we had some birds to entertain us.

Black-necked Stilt (Himantopus mexicanus)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fork-tailed Flycatcher (Tyrannus savana)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cinnamon-rumped Seedeater (Sporophila torqueola)
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Limpkin was catching snails while we ate our lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
While a pair of Northern Mockingbirds (Mimus polyglottos) flitted in the trees next to the comedor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of Roadside Hawks (Rupornis magnirostris) today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of them very vocal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are staying at the simple but clean and comfortable Hotel San Jose in El Tiriunfo.  Good value at M$430 with an icy air-con and a boiling hot shower.

On the suggestion of the dona of the hotel, we had supper at a taco stand near the village "park" which is more of a open air sport area.  It was a busy, full of kids playing basketball and with the church next door ringing its bell to summon folk to evening mass.

Nice gringas al pastor from this food truck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids playing basketball, of a sort.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 2,136 km (1,326 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0