El Remate - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

October 24, 2021

El Remate

We seem to be in lazy mode after arriving in Flores.  As much as Isla de Flores would drive us up the wall were there to be more tourists here, we found it difficult to leave.

Leigh tried to squeeze every last second out of our balcony. She was out there before it was light and it was a battle to get her to the bicycle to leave.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The ride to El Remate was short and easy and we took it slowly and easily.  There were lots of other cyclists on the road as well, various peletons of lycra-clad weekend warriors doing their version of "church" on a warm and sunny Sunday.

Talking of churches, I was amazed to read that Catholicism does not hold a majority in Guatemala.  The "rivals" include everyone from Prebyterians to Seventh Day Adventists with "No Religion" commanding a strong eleven percent of the population (from Wikipedia).

Warming up for the Sunday football match in a village somewhere along the route.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Despite riding as slowly as possible (or, to put it another way, as fast as Leigh was prepared to go) we arrived in El Remate by midday.  We had booked a room at Hotel Sun Breeze, which is more of a hostel than a hotel, but the owner was happy to let us in early.  In both Mexico and Guatemala the normal check out time is midday so it is often not possible to check in before three.

Our digs for the night. Leigh is hiding in the hammock.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 1,752 km (1,088 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0