Champotón - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 17, 2021

Champotón

Last night we decided we would give the local cenote a miss and head on down to Champotón.  So we were on the road before six thirty heading back to the main road.  We were feeling a bit better than yesterday and it was good to spend the best time of the day on a quiet country road.  Once we got to the main road, which once again carried very little traffic, it was an easy but uninteresting ride to the coast.

The sun was just as we past these fields on the road between Miguel Colorado and the main road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of our many breaks at a bus stop. Leigh wanted to know why I was taking a picture of a badly drawn phallus (just visible in the bus stop on the opposite side of the road).
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the fifty kilometer mark we stopped at a road side comedor for a third breakfast (second breakfast was a ham, cheese and jalapeno sandwich from the only OXXO along the route).
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just after our third breakfast we spied three bike packers coming from the direction of Champotón.  It was great to meet other cycle tourists so we had a long natter on the side of the road (one of them, Miguel, spoke excellent English which helped a lot).  They were cycling from near Cancun back to Chihuahua province.  Like us they are carrying tents etc but have only used them once, which is one more than we have !

Miguel, Oscar, myself and Alejandro. Leigh risked her life by standing in the middle of the R261 to take this picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0

About three kilometers out of Champotón the heavens opened and we took shelter in yet another bus stop.  They really are useful. 

Then it was quickly down to the seaside to get to the closest we have been to the ocean since arriving in Mexico. 

At the seaside ! The R180 right alongside.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The hotel we were hoping to stay at was fully booked so we have coughed up a little more for the Hotel Lua, a very nice place right on the dreaded R180 with the sea just across the road.  How could they have built the main road from Mexico City to Cancun right on the coast ?  We will have to ride it to Campeche tomorrow, not a pleasant thought.


Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 2,362 km (1,467 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0