Candelaria - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 11, 2021 to November 14, 2021

Candelaria

Novermber 11th, 2021

We didn't rush out of bed today because we only had to cover forty five kilometers to Candelaria, so we only got riding after seven thirty.  Once again it was a good ride on country roads with very little traffic. 

So much better for the cows and the environment than a feedlot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first twelve kilometers took an hour and a half because we stopped so often to look at birds.  It seemed that as soon as I had put my camera away and started riding again after stopping for a bird, Leigh would have already stopped ahead of me to look at another.

Ladder-backed Woodpecker (Picoides scalaris)
Heart 2 Comment 0
An adult Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea)
Heart 2 Comment 0
This Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna) seemed intrigued by me. Its left claw is perched between the barbs of the wire.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At last, a Roadside Hawk (Rupornis magnirostris) at eye level.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We found this tortoise along the way. By the time I had reached it, it had pulled its head into its shell and it wasn't going to stick it out again.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSometimes you can get them to come out by gently pulling them backwards by the rear of the shell.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are spending the next two nights at the Hotel Palma Real because there is some work I need to attend to.  It has a nice swimming pool which we used soon after checking in.  Then we wandered into town (the hotel is about five hundred meters from the centro) to find some lunch.  Options near the hotel are a bit limited.

November 12th-14th, 2021

We have spent the last three days here at the Hotel Palma Real.  Both of us, Leigh in particular, have been struggling  with a mild cold.  I don't think it is that other disease but we have mostly stayed in our room and there are mostly no other guests here.  It helps that I have has a bit of a work crisis with which to deal so I have been kept occupied.  Leigh has spent most of the time using up the hotel's toilet rolls mopping up the mess than keeps draining out of her nose.  My work is now done and we both feel OK so we hit the road again tomorrow, come what may.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 2,186 km (1,358 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0