Calkiní - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

November 23, 2021

Calkiní

I thought I should start today's entry with a few photos from last night's digs.  The doña was a gruff and grumpy woman of our age but I think she had a good heart.  She organised lunch and supper for us yesterday and cooked us some breakfast this morning.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride was a lot more enjoyable than yesterdays's because we were able to spend a lot of time off the 180.  When we left the Hotel San Sebastian this morning we only had to endure the 180 for about seven kilometers before we managed to slip off it into the town of Pomuch .  This gave us a few kilometers of respite and showed us a town far cleaner and better cared for than Tenabo.  Then we had a three kilometer stretch of the 180 before slipping off it at Hecelchakán.  This gave us more than eleven kilometers away from the 180.  After just short of eight kilometers we were off the 180 for the last time where we entered the town of Dzitbalché.  A few kilometers further was Calkiní, our destination for the day. 

The headwind we endured yesterday only started to bother us over the last few kilometers into Dzitbalché and Calkiní so it was hardly a problem at all.

First business in Calkiní was to find some lunch., a couple of gringas at a stal at the town's neat zocalo.  Then off to our digs for the night, the Hotel Maya Real, just on the edge of the 180.  It will be noisy but a very nice room with quality fittings at M$500 for the night it is good value for money.

Today was a day for taking pictures of the main churches in the towns through which we passed. This one is from Pomuch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely old stone church in Hecelchakán.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ruin of a church outside Hecelchakán.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This one in Pocboc was in less good condition.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rather ornate entrance to Calkiní.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Calkiní's large church at the zocalo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow is another short ride to just outside Uxmal.  We will spend a few days there visiting the archeological site.

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 2,542 km (1,579 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0