Acopinalco - The eleventh step ... Los Africanos Perdidos - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2021 to September 3, 2021

Acopinalco

September 2, 2021

We were in two minds as to what to do when we woke up this morning.  Should we stay and rest our legs after yesterday's hard work (for two unfit older folk) or should we hit the road ?  The weather report suggested that there was a good chance we would get rained upon today but the clouds didn't look that heavy.  So we took our chances and hit the road.

The plan over the next few days is to loop eastwards and southwards to Puebla.  The route will most likely be busy and industrial due to its proximity to Mexico City but choices are limited.  And today's route met our expectations, so the less said about it the better.

However, a bad day with a good ending can't be sneezed at so we were pleased the way it turned out.  After forty kilometers of gritted teeth we turned eastwards off our route onto a wonderful cycle path leading passed a major brewery to the little village of Acopinalco which is home to a surprisingly good and affordable hotel, the Hotel Colonial Apopinalco Inn.  M$450 for a fantastic room in an attractive building.  We wasted no time and settled down to an enormous late lunch, the best food we have eaten so far in Mexico, washed down with a few beers for only M$270.

The courtyard of the very nice Hotel Colonial Apopinalco Inn.
Heart 7 Comment 0

We might rest up here for a day or push on southwards tomorrow. We will make the call in the morning.

September 3, 2021

We slept well last night but when we woke up this morning our bodies weren't shy in letting us know that they felt in need of a day off.  So after a good buffet breakfast we retired to our room for the rest of the day where we tackled some of the more urgent work issues that were outstanding.

Later in the day I took a short stroll around the village and enjoyed the best weather we have had since arriving in Mexico.  There isn't much to Acopinalco and if it wasn't for the modern brewery recently built on its outskirts it there might be even less.  I can only imagine that the four kilometer's of brand new cement road leading from the main road to the village and the lovely cycle path alongside it are only there because of the brewery because almost all the roads in the village itself are muddy tracks.  The brewery produces Corona, Stella Artois, Victoria and Modelo on what appears to be an industrial scale.  The village is encircled by fields of grain which is a big improvement on the towns just to the north which seem to be dedicated to generating electricity.

Fields of grain with the brewery in the bottom left corner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Apart from our hotel, much of the village looks like this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we cycled into the village yesterday afternoon, we heard the sound of a horse whinnying and Leigh remarked that it was a one horse town but here is proof that there are at least two horses.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 104 km (65 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0