Wisconsin: Janet’s Birthplace - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2021

Wisconsin: Janet’s Birthplace

Trailing the River

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some rest day pictures. Joel & Becky’s roof top patio
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pictures from the stone arches bridge area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ross, Joel, and Dave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Anthony Dam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stone arches bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Memorial to 35w bridge collapse victims.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mark and Kathy
Heart 0 Comment 0

The pictures above are from our rest day. The pictures below are from our ride today. 


We had a great time on our rest day.  Joel and Becky were great hosts showing us around downtown Minneapolis and explaining all the happenings of the city.  Our good friends Deb and Dave came up in the morning. Janet went with Deb to Mall Of America to shop for dresses.  The last time I mentioned that Janet went dress shopping I got many cards and letters saying that I did not indicate if she got one or not.  I can tell everyone that she did not get a dress at the mall. Dave, Ross,  Joel and I went out to lunch then walked around downtown for a while. Deb and Dave left and our other good friends Mark and Kathy stopped in. We visited for a couple of hours and then went to dinner (Joel and Becky joined us).  It was really great seeing our old friends and catching up with them. 

The forecast for today was for temperatures in the low 90’s. We got up early and we were on the road by 6:30. The first task was to get out of the cities, which was made much easier because of the great bike trail system in Minneapolis and St Paul. We cross the stone arches bridge and then went through the massive University of Minnesota campus. After campus we were on a bike trail that went along the Mississippi River going through quiet residential areas. Next the trail went through the downtown area of St Paul. After 20 miles we were through the downtown areas, but, still had lots of urban/suburban congestion to get through. Ross did an excellent job finding bike routes on small streets that took us to the St Croix River and the town of Hudson, Wisconsin.  We have left Minnesota and entered the state where Janet was born and raised.   It was around noon and we had covered about 40 miles so we decided to have lunch in a cafe.  After lunch we had 17 miles left and we climbed the hill out of Hudson and onto county roads. Wisconsin named there county roads after letters, we were on county A all the way to our destination, the town of New Richmond.  
On county A we had the highlight of the day.   Janet and I were riding on the shoulder and a truck came by and honked and then passed by us really close. Now 99% of drivers on this trip have been great and have given us plenty of room whenever they can. Many drivers have given us a friendly honk and wave and we always wave back.  For the 1% that are jerks and buzz us close by or honk loud and long right next to us, I prefer to just ignore them. However, today on county A, for the first time on the trip, I was a bit upset and I gave the driver the middle finger salute.   Right at that time, coming toward us in the oncoming lane, was the county sheriff. It looked like I was saluting the sheriff. Fortunately neither the sheriff or the jerk in the truck stopped. 

Tomorrow we continue our journey across central Wisconsin. Our target is about 55 miles away and is the town of Bloomer. 

Starting our crossing the stone arches bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fort Snelling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Paul downtown
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike trail along the River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We did not get a picture of the welcome to Minnesota sign when we entered Minnesota. I got a picture as we are leaving it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing into Wisconsin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Croix River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Wisconsin sign
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 2,168 miles (3,489 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Rachel and Patrick HugensHi,
Our would almost cross again....missing by a day, we think. We are in Danbury heading south tomorrow to Amery, and then the next day through Menomonie to Durand.
There's an Old Abe State Trail, 58 mi, from Chippewa Falls to Cornell, just east of Bloomer.
Are you headed toward Green Bay? At Weston (South of Wausau) there's an 83 mile Mountain Bay trail toward Green Bay, ends in Howard.

Happy Travels
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Rachel and Patrick HugensWe are taking Hwy 64 across Wisconsin until Antigo then we are going to angle down toward Appleton. We will stay at least one rest day in Appleton and then go to Manitowac to catch the ferry. We will be on the ferry with July 27 or 28. How close does this align with your plans?
Terry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Sandy EarleHi Terry,
We had a cabin near Antigo when we lived in Wisconsin. I rode there from Milwaukee. I took Hwy 32 north from near Sheboygan to intersection with Hwy 64. I found it to be a very rideable road. You would still need an easterly road to get to Manitowoc.
Happy trails,
Sandy
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Sandy EarleHi Sandy,
Thank you for the information. It is very useful to our route planning.
Terry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Terry OBrienHi, we crossed hwy 64 today riding from amery to Glenwood city....heading south to catch a sequence of rails to trails, then going east south of Madison then up to manitowoc.....meandering through Wisconsin.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago