Starting the East’s Steeps - The Metal Hip Club attempt the Northern Tier. - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2021

Starting the East’s Steeps

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day was sunny and cool today. We packed up the camp and as we were starting to leave, Brandon, one of the kids with Terry’s group from last night, wanted to escort the “cross country bike tourers “ out of the park. It was an honor to have the young man escort us and he is going to be a great bike rider when he gets older. After leaving the park we rode 6 miles and stopped at a diner for breakfast.  Today was a more normal ride planned for about 55 miles. Our destination is the town of Boonville, which is just outside the Adirondack area of NY. The ride today  was on small county roads.  The ride today was pretty tough. We started to hit the hills of the east. The hills in the mountains of the west tend to be very long but relatively not too steep. You can ride up for 20 miles and the grades are never more than 6%. In the east the hills are steeper and not quite as long. Today we got a taste of these hills. In one section there were 3-4 hills, none more than a half mile long, but, they were very steep. Granny gear and the easiest rear gear was needed to get up these little hills. We ended up climbing over 3000 feet for the day.   A very tiring day. 

Tonight we tried to see when our trip will be completed.   We have decided to ride to Portland, Maine instead of Bar Harbor. While Bar Harbor would be great and beautiful, Portland offers more services and resources to get home.  Our best guess is we will get to Portland on Monday August 23.  We are excited to be getting near the end and will be making arrangements for getting home over the next few days. 

Lake Ontario view from campground
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salmon River reservoir
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Break on the road selfie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rare picture of the senior guy on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 3,517 miles (5,660 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierOh no! Your ride can’t end! What will I read about every evening? I’m so enjoying your journal…
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Terry OBrienTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich! I am glad you like the journal.
Terry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago